PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
I know it's just a basic meerschaum but it has all the provenance required that Bing Crosby owned it. The seller wants $200.00. Would appreciate any input.
M81410q.jpg

Edited by jvnshr: Picture fixed.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
That could be one of hundreds of the same he just had to give people. He was known for the pipe and did ads for MasterCraft. I'd buy it, seems neat.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is for bragging rights, so if you have some forum to brag, like a pipe club or pipe shows, it would be worth it. Or if you'd just enjoy knowing you own it. Otherwise, that pipe wouldn't be worth $200 to me, but so what? If you love it, buy it.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I've only seen multiple dozens of Crosby, Gerald Ford, Faulkner, etc, owned pipes on eBay and elsewhere over the years. (-;
If it can be authenticated and if you are a Bing Crosby fan then only you can determine if it's worth the price to you.
I'd sure spend $200 on a pipe that was actually smoked by Raquel Welch. That would be much more valuable to me than one she never put her lips to.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
It would be one thing if it was actually smoked by Bing and you could authenticate it, but being unsmoked and unknown authenticity I would be skeptical. It's really only a $50 pipe, but if the story makes up the difference in value and you really want it then go for it.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I'd buy it . but be forewarned I've impulsively bought Many many pipes in the last year or so . Butterfields San Fran provenance SEEMS legit. Worse case your out $200.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd sure spend $200 on a pipe that was actually smoked by Raquel Welch. That would be much more valuable to me than one she never put her lips to.
Was she in fact a pipe smoker? (I feel I should know that). How bout a pipe that she not only smoked, but several times placed it in her handbag?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd take my $200 and go after a pipe that smokes wonderfully for you rather than a celebrity artifact. The right artisanal pipe, new from a newcomer carver, or an estate pipe, or a high-end factory pipe might give more satisfaction over time than a Hollywood connection. I like Bing, but don't need his pipes.

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
I paid a little more than $200 for a Dunhill Dress Vest pocket pipe that was owned by Nat King Cole, came with provenance. Was worth it to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.