Re-Stemming a Pre-Republic 1935 Pete Bulldog?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

bron340

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 16, 2019
Minot, ND
I recently picked up a nice Peterson bulldog with a silver band hallmarked in 1935. Sadly it did not have a stem, and was priced extremely low. Would this pipe be worth sending to Peterson's to have it re-stemmed? Photos incoming, after I figure out the new site.

bron340

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 16, 2019
Minot, ND
Here are some pictures for your enjoyment.

Attachments

• 20190929_190043.jpg
    20190929_190043.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190929_190102.jpg
    20190929_190102.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 101

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
20190929_190102-jpg.3576

Reactions: rogers

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
it depends on where you are located and whether you want a genuine Peterson stem.
Yes they can and will do it but i have heard the turn around time is quite long and not cheap when factoring in postage costs.
If you are in America then there are good options within your country,Europe not so many but they do exist.

To my mind definitely worth doing though

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
it depends on where you are located and whether you want a genuine Peterson stem.
Yes they can and will do it but i have heard the turn around time is quite long and not cheap when factoring in postage costs.
If you are in America then there are good options within your country,Europe not so many but they do exist.

To my mind definitely worth doing though
Yes Sir, based on my experience the cost and turn around at Peterson's may take some time &nerves, then If one is located in EU, the Northern Briars in England comes to my mind as an alternative option for such repairs

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I agree paulie
I have had Ian @ northern briars make me a hand cut peterson stem before and it was excellent.not too expensive and reasonably quick

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just for your own use, I'd go with a good independent pipe repairman who will do a fine job. If you are doing this for posterity, you have to suffer the Peterson repair. I think they'll do a good job but apparently it won't be cheap.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I would absolutely have a stem made for that. Sending it off to Peterson would obviously be a first choice, but another option as others have said is having a pipe maker / pipe repairman make you a stem. I have a couple pipes that I bought from Tim West's eBay store where he made replacement stems for them, and the stems are great. Tim West has a store I think in Ohio and I would anticipate you could probably ship pipes to him for work. However given your pipe's age and collectability / cool factor, it's probably worthwhile to see about having Pete make a stem for it to keep it in as close to "original" condition as possible.

EDIT: Another possibility - I've heard of pipemakers / repairmen who will stamp the replacement stem with the original manufacturer's symbol(s).

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
If you wanted an exact duplicate stem made George Dibos could do it but it might cost you real money. And he probably wouldn't do it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If you wanted an exact duplicate stem made George Dibos could do it but it might cost you real money. And he probably wouldn't do it.

Hm.

Leveling a stem to a banded square shank is an absolute PITA to do right, and I'd be surprised if Peterson themselves would do it without either 1) leaving a step; or 2) pulling the band and "re-manufacturing" the shank & stem and then installing a new one.

As for "real money," with many states fighting for a $15/hr minimum wage, $25/hr for world-class work from a $40K shop is rather a bargain, I think.

Regarding my willingness to take on a project, there are only two qualifiers: intrinsic interest (I work on vintage and/or high grade collectables, not simply return tobacco access devices to service); and the owner of the piece being someone who understands and appreciates what they have.

Last edited:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Hm.

Leveling a stem to a banded square shank is an absolute PITA to do right, and I'd be surprised if Peterson themselves would do it without either 1) leaving a step; or 2) pulling the band and "re-manufacturing" the shank & stem and then installing a new one.

As for "real money," with many states fighting for $15/hr, $25/hr for world-class work from a $40K shop is rather a bargain, I think.

Regarding my willingness to take on a project, there are only two qualifiers: intrinsic interest (I work on vintage and/or high grade collectables, not simply return tobacco access devices to service); and the owner of the piece being someone who understands and appreciates what they have.

Looks like perhaps sending it to Peterson is not the number one choice after all.

What George said about how he anticipates that Peterson would handle the repair is true of vintage watches as well. For example, if you've got a vintage Rolex, you'll be best served sending it to a handful of skilled repairmen that know and appreciate vintage Rolexes. Rolex would do good work on it, but they'll service it with an eye towards functionality rather than an eye towards preserving and restoring a classic. That's my understanding anyhow based on what I read when I was looking into having some work done on an old watch.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

bron340

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 16, 2019
Minot, ND
I believe sending it to Peterson may not be the best choice, if they may ruin it in an attempt to save it. I would like it to be able to be smoked and enjoyed again, as it is a beautiful and fine old pipe with much life left in it.

Who would be able to complete the work in a manner befitting this pipe? I am located in the United States.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I believe sending it to Peterson may not be the best choice, if they may ruin it in an attempt to save it. I would like it to be able to be smoked and enjoyed again, as it is a beautiful and fine old pipe with much life left in it.

Who would be able to complete the work in a manner befitting this pipe? I am located in the United States.
They will not ruin it be sure, but I have been there several time with several pipe manufacturers , Savinelli, Castello and Peterson)and all them go by similar scheme , get it done quickly and your pipe will be given to a person whos got nothing more going on at that specific time,now hes employed,whether he (the repair dude at factory)skilled or not, that only remains to be seen

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I agree paulie
I have had Ian @ northern briars make me a hand cut peterson stem before and it was excellent.not too expensive and reasonably quick
next time when I'm in a need of a brand new stem for my pipe,I'm gonna get in touch with NorthernBriars, though this may become a bit more complicated if England leaves EU without customs agreement

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.