Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Just had this one arrive in the mail today...and the box looked like an accordion which is a bit scary when you know you have an 8" pipe inside. I've researched this online and can't find anything on it- it's an RBC Bestmake with 14K band. In the original ad, I thought it was an amber stem- I'm leaning towards bakelite at this point. It did have a bone screw tenon. Looks like some minor removal of tooth chatter, and removal of some singing on the bowl...It was in remarkable good shape- There are obvious Bulldog elements here, but it measures 7.75". I might have to use this as inspiration for a pipe I've been thinking about...

b3r01u.jpg

35k7c4w.jpg

f568b8.jpg

2nhq6pf.jpg

30bo6es.jpg

t023p4.jpg

rvvjo0.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
In their book titled Who Made That Pipe? authors Wilczak and Colwell have a listing for a brand called RBC which was manufactured by Reiss Brothers Co. of Chicago, and with a date of 1906. Further, they note that the RBC was contained in a circle, as appears to be shown on the band in your image above.
For a more definitive call on this one you had better light the jguss signal! :)

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Interesting...so an American made pipe- the bone tenon seems to lean towards early 1900s. So a couple of questions for everyone...The band is stamped 14k- and has RBC which reinforces that identification. What would you guys call this shape? I lean towards calling it a long stemmed Bulldog...and finally...I'm thinking Bakelite on the stem because of the grain pattern in one of the closeups..Agreed?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I believe that your "long-stemmed Bulldog" is about as accurate a description as may be.
As for the stem's material, The Bakelite Company's production of transparent Bakelite began circa 1910, so it could be that. There are methods to test Bakelite, and I am certain that an Internet search will yield them.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Found it- intersting that they started making pipes in the 1800s...this was the first I have ever seen....

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
The great-grandfather to Kaywoodie: https://pipedia.org/wiki/Reiss-Premier_Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.