PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Hey guys and gals. I am thinking about purchasing some Rattray's va/pers. Out of the three listed, let me know your favorites and why. Marlin flake,Jocks mixture,and Hal o' the wynd. Thanks for any input,as I have not tried any yet. :puffpipe:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hal o' the wynd has had some great reviews from my fellow sea wolves. I have one in my cellar, but I have yet to open it.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Jocks Mixture is not a va/per as far as I know. I think it's a mild english, with latakia.

Hal o' the Wynd, Marlin Flake, Old Gowrie and Brown Clunee are va/pers. Marlin Flake has cavendish as well and the others have some dark fired. I believe Dark Fragrant has some perique also.

I have tried HotW, Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie. So far, my favourite is HotW. It is fruity sweet somehow, the virginias are tangy and the perique is condimental. The dark fired shines toward the end of the bowl.

Old Gowrie is more burley forward, more of a bur/per to me, nutty and sour with a minor sweetness.

Marlin Flake has the most perique, I think. It is sweet and sour, cavendish and perique dominate the flavors.

These are my personal experiences, someone else might see it differently.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hal O' The Wynd is a classic Va/Per, more Va than Per, but a unique and glorious smoke. So is Marlin Flake. I smoke both. I respectfully suggest that you do the same. I haven't gotten around to trying out Jock's Mixture so I can't speak to it.

Reactions: gamzultovah

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I am thinking about purchasing some Rattray's va/pers.

Me too. I wish it was that easy. They are now very hard to find.
I agree with others above. Hal O' Wind and Marlin Flake are classics. Please get them if you have a lead on some in stock. I enjoy both very much.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I am thinking about purchasing some Rattray's va/pers.
Me too. I wish it was that easy. They are now very hard to find.
These appear to be readily available in Europe including from shops that ship to the USA.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I was thinking when this topic would come up again. I smoked some Marlin yesterday and this morning to work. It was fig forward, with leather like notes. I wanted a VaPer to mix up my straight Va smoking habits. I would call around B&Ms and I bet you can find some.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Esoterica is every 60 - 90 days like clockwork lately. Rattrays is not that frequent in surfacing.

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Thanks for the replies and recommendations. I had a chance to buy a pound and a half of aged HOTW. I did it, and it is on its way. I may buy the Marlin also at some point in time. I think out of all the responses, I will enjoy the HOTW most. I also have some escudo tins and CD bourbon bleu and blue ridge coming with that order. I haven't tried any of these, they should be a good try. Thanks all.-leaf :puffy:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My Rattrays preferences are HOTW, Old Gowrie and even Brown Clunee. I did not care for Marlin Flake, the perique content is higher than I prefer. But that's a personal preference, it is quality tobacco. The Stirling Flake is a good VaBur as well.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
If all I had to smoke was Marlin flake I think I could be content.

Status
Not open for further replies.