PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
i have recently tried flake tobacco for the first time. I don't know why I didn't try flakes years ago. My mistake. I have found that I truly enjoy Irish Flake and was wondering what other blends members out there would recommend. I also have never had plug or rope tobacco. I intend for that to change ASAP. Recommendations?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is a bit of spin, but I've probably tried at least a dozen flake blends and have never disliked any. I think they stay fresher longer, and the process of making flake and leaving it in flake form seems to better meld the flavors, whether we're talking about several different Virginias or more complex blends. I also have had good experiences with plug, coin, and rope.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've yet to try an Irish Flake, but I'll second never trying a bad Flake. Plugs and ropes are worth trying assuming you don't mind earning your smoke through some work.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Since you enjoyed Irish Flake, consider:
MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired

MacBarren HH Bold Kentucky (more nicotine)

Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Flake, Unscented (higher nicotine)

Gawith & Hoggarth Louisiana Flake (a little chocolatey)

MacBaren Latakia Flake

GL Pease Jack Knife Plug

GL Pease Triple Play (added Perique)

Orlik Strong Dark Flake (not so strong, but tasty with a molasses & licorice topping)

Samuel Gawith St. James Flake (Virginia/Perique)

Solani #633 (Virginia/Perique)

Peterson's 3P's Peterson's Perfect Plug (slightly floral)
These are some of my favorite flakes & a good start. Almost all are still readily available.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
For flakes, some of my favorites are:
Orlik Golden Sliced

Luxury Navy Flake

Luxury Bullseye Flake

Dunhill Flake

Blackwoods Flake (although it's actually a broken flake)
For plugs I recommend GL Pease's Jackknife Plug and Triple Play. Smoke both of those sitting down, after a good sized meal. They aren't for those with weak constitutions...

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
G&H brown bogie, ropes are easy to prepare, you just cut some coins off, cube cut those, rub them out and pack. Ropes don't take any longer than flakes for me to prepare.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo dka
I guess you haven't seen our own JohnF across the room wielding the new toy he got several months ago. I had been talking about getting an Ulu, which Alaskan natives use to carve out whale meat and hipsters get to dice herbs (for cooking, anyway). Come to the Lehigh Valley PC meeting Monday and we can set you up with plugs and ropes galore. Make sure you bring small bowled pipes, though.
hp

les

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
All flakes and plugs are great.I don't smokem exclusively, but do try. Some of the ready rubs are ok. Especially like Va# 1.I like big chunks and slow burn with flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.