PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I haven't posted any re-stems in a while, primarily because I'm doing the video thing these days and most of the hardcore fixers here know that.
From time to time I work on something that's unusual enough that it has "pipe interest," though, not just "repair interest." This is one of them.
Funny but true: few of the world's top carvers ever mess with a completely paneled pipe. The reason? They are technical perfectionists by definition, and while making a 100% coverage panel can be done by anyone---they're fairly popular among Italian companies---getting them absolutely dead-on everywhere is a time consuming nightmare. Jiggle one line, and the relationship of all the others must be adjusted to compensate. Not to mention using flat PLANE sections that demand perfectly straight surfaces and lines... Anyone with eyes can see variations from straight at a glance, no pipe expertise required.
You get the idea. If your reputation as a carver includes balance and precision and you want to make a panel pipe, it will take two or three times longer to make it than is normal for you. So most of those guys would rather make two or three of their "normal" pipes. The result? Panels by them are rare.
I have no idea if it was Ulf or Per who decided to flagellate himself with this lovely big billiard, or why, but his loss was the PipeWorld's gain. It's one of the coolest pieces I've worked on in a good while. :D
Judging by the patch on the stem it was obviously one of its owner's favorite pipes as well. When the tenon finally snapped off, though, it was time for an all-new one.
P1030645.jpg

P7225463.jpg

P1030618.jpg

P1030630.jpg

P1030635.jpg

P1030636.jpg

P1030641.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Very impressive, and an amazing looking pipe. I can't imagine the amount of history your fingers have touched, George.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
As always...dead on! Beautiful pipe, I can see why he sent it to you...it is either right or a mess.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Here is a geekie question...
When shaping the stem which direction do you work from, the button to the shank or from the shank to the button?
Don

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
When shaping the stem which direction do you work from, the button to the shank or from the shank to the button?
Neither, actually.
It's more like a hugely fuzzy picture that slowly draws into focus everywhere simultaneously as you turn the focus ring.
Except cameras don't work that way anymore, of course. :lol:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
An eagle-eyed forumer just sent me a note saying that the cursive PH in a circle means Per Hansen made it.
:puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Holy Cow, that's a beauty, and fabulous work. Must have been a piece of cake transitioning from the oval to the sexagon or whatever shape it was requiring straight lines.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Don
Don, see here,
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/making-a-faceted-stem-from-vulcanite-rod-stock-video-set
and take the time to watch (it's well worth it),
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFwwtvtKlXW9LSrvtgfAwvFnp9jz7X0Sp
:D

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Incredible pipe - we just don't see many Bangs here, and none like that!
A button to die for! Great job describing the "fuzzy" nature of how the shape takes place, made sense to me.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It occurred to me a minute ago to see if the pipe's difficulty in shaping was reflected in its grade.
Yup.
It isn't ONLY about the wood with these guys. They grade according to the "whole package".
This makes me happy. :clap:
Grade-D.png

D-grade-shot.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.