PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

zulucollector

Lurker
Nov 19, 2013
Over the years, I've been looking for a "Globe" and finally found one. Comoy's "Globe" shape resembles an apple, but is different in that it is rounder and the shank-bowl transition is generally more delicate. The Globe is an older Comoy shape. In the 1950s, the company transitioned to marketing apples since the shape was close and was more conventionally known in the United States market where most of the Blue Ribands went.
This Shape No. 164 is in fantastic condition. The grain emphasizes the Globe shape in a lovely way. And the pipe has a particularly luscious contrast stain.
14648832046_390c9a27c3_b.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
That is a magnificent addition to the collection Neill. I am, however, sorry that you did not have this specimen in time to make it into the book. Alas, that will have to wait until the next edition perhaps?

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Nice. Looks similar to the much more popular 334 apple, but different in ways you stated nicely.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Hi Neil,
Gorgeous pipe and a wonderful addition to your great collection.
Collecting is the ability to coherently explain the presence of each element in the collection (pipes in your case of course) and you're a consummate collector.

zulucollector

Lurker
Nov 19, 2013
Thank you all for your kind comments. I really appreciate this section of the forum. It is very fun for me, given my interest in Comoys.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Neil, that is one gorgeous Blue Riband. I had no idea that pipe would be considered anything but an Apple. I have never heard of a Globe before but after your explanation I can see the differences you speak of. I would be willing to bet that sellers of Comoys would never realize they had a Globe instead of a plain Apple and would sell it at the same price as an Apple. Congrats on another great addition to your collection.

zulucollector

Lurker
Nov 19, 2013
Yes, Harris, you are undoubtedly correct. The distinction is subtle, although in some of the globes, they are as round as a globe is, so it is easier to see in those larger globe shapes.
This is one reason for having a comprehensive catalog of shape names and numbers and where they existed in Comoy's progression of catalogs (hint, hint...).
I apologize for what cannot help but be somewhat self-serving (except that I make no money from it).
It amazes me how often I see Comoy sales listings where the shape name in the listing is wrong or worse, the shape number is wrong because it was misread (sometimes they are difficult to decipher).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Congratulations Neill, finding the right pieces/shapes has to be increasingly more difficult for you.

The stain and grain on that pipe are fantastic, truly deserving of the BR stamp.
A couple of months ago, I asked Kevin to start some sub-groups on the forum, including this one. So I'm tickled to see the activity and participation. I was hoping to attract collectors of your stature. Sadly the "Streets of London" on the SmokersForums has become a shadow of it's former self.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
An excellent photograph of a great looking addition to your very impressive collection. Isn't it fun to find the next perfect addition to your collection. 8O

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
That had to have been kind of an "eureka" moment when you found this beauty. I assume all of us who bought your book can expect a picture to insert in to it?? :lol:

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Marvelous grain, congratulations. I have three pipes of similar shape, an Upshall, a S&R and a Steve Weiner. I always struggled with what to call them. From now on they will be "globes."

Status
Not open for further replies.