PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
:crazy: Edit: ill even go so far as to say all handwritten text is doomed and soon. :crazy:
???Explain...Shouldn't I be what?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I agree with Warren. Nothing says "I actually give a shit" like a handwritten message sent the old-fashioned way. Even if it's just a store-bought card with something personal jotted down inside, it carries a lot of weight.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Aldecaker, when I write thank you cards I use a gorgeous hand made paper that utilizes fiber that has been digested by an endangered animal and a dip pen that utilizes a rare, yet sustainable flower that I mash into a liquid and age in remote caves for two years.
Because I care so much.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
That's not caring. I smash my fingers with a ball peen hammer until the bones are the consistency of a paintbrush, then use my own blood to paint a word picture conveying my heartfelt emotions. That's caring.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
OK, I probably shouldn't go into this on a pipe forum, but some broad generalities: Copybook writing where each letter is perfectly formed just as shown on the blackboard, can be a sign of lack of mental or emotional maturity. Or it might be a sign of overt attention to organization. Secretaries and office people often have "nice" writing. 'Sloppy' writing might be a sign of poor thought processes, too many interests at one time pulling you in many directions, or individuality. Once you begin to exceed the sum of what you've been taught to become your own person, you start to deviate from the copybook forms. Some of the smartest people are sloppy writers.
Most kids these days have poor cursive writing and tend to print block letters as individual symbols. What do they look at all day long? Printed text! They often do not learn how to think for themselves because all schools teach is to follow directions. Think of your handwriting as putting on paper a picture of the way you think. Cursive writing involves taking one idea and connecting it with another and another to form a complete thought just as the letters flow from one to the next and the next.
Handwriting a thing of the past? Not quite yet. Though there is a big push to make documents all electronic, nothing is more inexact or easy to steal, copy or forge than your signatures on those electronic pads such as at the supermarket! Do they even look at all like your real, everyday writing? It is all driven by a desire for speed and cost-effectiveness, but nothing is more secure than your genuine signature in ink on a sheet of paper. So be an individual: smoke your pipe and keep signing your name on paper using a thick, fat fountain pen! :mrgreen:
As to the OP's point, never before have we seen so many people who cannot think, write and type because schools and kids have raised and are being raised with an overt preoccupation with smartphones and spellcheckers to do it for them. The world of the Millennial is not the real world of people and events, just look at them-- their world is inside that tiny electronic box they carry in their pocket and cannot put down for 5 minutes! Most kids have no idea about the real world anymore and barely know how to interact face to face.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
OK, I probably shouldn't go into this on a pipe forum, but some broad generalities:

You'd be the first, right? :lol:

Think of your handwriting as putting on paper a picture of the way you think. Cursive writing involves taking one idea and connecting it with another and another to form a complete thought just as the letters flow from one to the next and the next.

I like how you think. The scratch and glide of the well-worn nib of a fountain pen on cotton parchment, or even the click and shush of chalk against a chalkboard, give me an almost visceral sensation of pleasure. This can be a great motivator if you still tend to write rough drafts in ink.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Man, I returned to school for some classes a few years ago and when I turned in my first paper it was an issue. It was legible, the required pages and more, on time, and done with pen and paper. Outside of printing papers to turn in all work, tests, everything was done online. Bought a laptop and used peoples printers, struggled through but did well. Being a throwback is hard.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Anyone on this forum who's received anything from me can attest that my handwriting just sucks. I do my best, and almost always include a hand-written note with anything that I send out, but the lack of practice (due to computers) has rendered my once nice penmanship awful. Yes, I was rather appalled to find out that my daughter wasn't being taught cursive. But then I thought (to quote a great statesperson who didn't give a flying fuck duck), "what difference does it make?". How is my daughter's time best spent? Learning cursive, I'm sorry to say, is way down list.
But I still believe that proofreading is time very well spent.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I do appreciate a well written post, one that expresses interesting ideas cogently and with style. Anyone know where I can find that?
Thursday would be good but I'm not sure if it will be ready by then so if you want to move that thing over to the birthing center then I'll set it to 7 and wash the potatoes in the morning. Is that OK? BTW, the squirrels still think your car is purple!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thursday would be good but I'm not sure if it will be ready by then so if you want to move that thing over to the birthing center then I'll set it to 7 and wash the potatoes in the morning. Is that OK? BTW, the squirrels still think your car is purple!
I want what you're smoking.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
In a class I took once, they proved the human mind has no trouble decoding sentences, where the letters in the words are jumbled.
But the lack of the Damn shift key makes it difficult for people to read???
Good thing my phone auto capitalizes things... Sheesh

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
But then I thought (to quote a great statesperson who didn't give a flying fuck duck), "what difference does it make?".
tacitus.jpg

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I do most of my typing on my phone, one thing that makes me "RAGE" is my big fat thumbs, I will type something fast and send it and people will get my messages with all kinds of misspellings and thus I will get the following messages from my arshole friends " dude, go back to school" " did you ever take English classes?" I do love writing short stories though, and I rather write my rough drafts on paper, and yes I do think that cursive is a thing of the past, although I do remember in high school I did melt some girls heart by writing a poem in their Valentines card in cursive.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That cursive is no longer taught in schools is just a myth.
Nope, cursive is no longer taught in Central KY elementary schools. Sad times. A nicely written script is just a pleasant thing to see.

The only people I have ever known who held on to a great handwriting have always been girls. I don't think I have ever seen a man's writing that was what one might call pleasant to the eyes. After years of copying the homework of the nearest girl setting on the bus on my way to school, I can say that I always appreciated their neat script. Now, that sounds like a broad generalization, sure, sure, but it is one founded on my experience. I don't think I have ever met a man who had neat handwriting, you know, making proper capital S's. Q's. and G's in cursive. Most men tend to just fill in the harder to write cursive letters with whatever symbol makes sense to them at the time.
That's just my view of it from my spot on the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.