PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I am always amazed at people who spend 30,000 on a new vehicle but are two cheap to pay for the turn signal option.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Whenever you feel like the most useless person in the world, just remember that somewhere in Germany, some poor bastard is wasting his life installing turn signals on BMWs.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Using the shift key isn't hard; but, neither is existing as someone who isn't bothered by something so trivial. Then again... How much fun would life be without some things to be irritated, annoyed, and agitated by...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I always wonder why? Why someone, with something they think others should read, does not take the time to make it easy to read and understand? Why take the time to post an opinion if few will take the time to read it?
Of course there are those who simply enjoy irritating mcitinner1, some others and me. To them, I award the "Flying Fickle Finger." Job well done! Mission accomplished.
Those which are simply unlettered or possibly simply lazy? You folks get nothing. No medals for simple participation here. You unlettered can learn. Those of you who are simply lazy? No cure for that I'm afraid, that ship sailed during your extended childhood.
Trivial? Hardly! The inability to present a thought is sad. A reflection on the poster, his teachers and his parents.

An unwillingness to take the time to post a literate message, to me, exhibits a disdain for the other members which also reflects poorly on the writer, parents and educators. There is also the image a self-centered individual who over values his importance and his message, expecting the readers to spend time decoding the message. My time is too valuable for that.
Yes, I am an aingisioir. An Irish term not readily translatable into English. Closest would be curmudgeon which is too blunt to be a literal translation.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
While I can establish some understanding for you native English speakers I am quite annoyed when Germans use only small letters in their writing. Texts becomes really incomprehensible in German! :roll:
In short: I am totally with you! :clap:

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
+1 on German writing and Lazy People.
You know what gets my goat? Egyptian Demotic script. The Germans called it Frühdemotisch. :evil:
Since cursive writing is no longer taught in schools, we older folks will have a secret writing system all to ourselves in 20 years.
310px-DemoticScriptsRosettaStoneReplica.jpg

spaceout.gif

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Exactly. I thought it was a great thing to help kids with fine motor skills. But no room for it now, I'm told. :crying:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/opinion/handwriting-just-doesnt-matter.html?_r=0

p4ttythep3rf3ct

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2015
Like, who's still using cursive on the regular, though? I bet even the Merchant Marine fancy Navy cursive is now nothing but a legend.
Edit: ill even go so far as to say all handwritten text is doomed and soon. There is little need where there are computers.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
A friend, who's also a mom, tells me cursive is still being taught in school today (Chicago area).
:oops: -*WHEW!*

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Exactly. I thought it was a great thing to help kids with fine motor skills. But no room for it now, I'm told.
As already stated by others, some schools tried to stop teaching handwriting for a while but most have gone back or are in the process of going back to teaching it, because more than just teaching motor skills, it is a fundamental aspect of developing mental skills and the ability to think for oneself.

My own handwriting is atrocious. I did very well in school in handwriting in elementary school, but by graduation I had to take notes at such a hurried rate in class that I sort of developed my own sort of sloppy, short-hand. I think that if we at least "know" how writing works, we can at least decode each other's messages with fewer misunderstandings. But, if you guys would like to help us with the horse...

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I'm VERY glad I am wrong. I was going by what I had heard on the news and from my nieces' schooling. What is this social media you speak of? I always thought you could tell a lot about someone by their handwriting and feel it is an art-form in and of itself.

all handwritten text is doomed and soon.

How quickly we forget the impending apocalypse and accompanying loss of electricity. Not to mention the Zombies. We'll be scribbling on stones again soon enough. :rofl:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Only the ill-bred and lazy have stopped hand writing thank you notes. Granted, texting has become the method of choice corresponding and indeed conversing in many cases. Still, taking the time to hand write a thank you note, a letter of condolence, and such is the only polite, personal and adult way to convey sincerity and concern. Texting, tweeting, etc are fast and, if nothing else, impersonal, indicative of the writer's lack good manners. Such communication simply says the writer really doesn't care enough about you to take the time to think and compose a personal message.
Of course I'm old. I do not understand many of today's young adults shying away from even face to face communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.