PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I read today that our buddy up in the big apple..The outgoing mayor..before he leaves his post wants to raise the age that folks can buy tobacco from 18 up to 21.Don't you just love this guy?

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
Sheesh. What a maroon. He may as well just get tobacco declared illegal in NYC so I can go ahead and make a fortune smuggling the stuff into the Big Apple. :roll:

Jan 8, 2013
At 18 years of age, you can make your own decision about joining the military, possibly going to war and being killed. But then you can't make your own decision about smoking or drinking?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I remember here in Canaduh me and my friend buying a pack of cigatettes and we were 5 years old and my friend said they were for his mom. I remember us blowing on them, then I tried sucking it, then telling my friend I don't think you're supposed to suck these....... as I coughed up a lung

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
It's still 18 here in Pennsylvania but shop owners are supposed to request ID up to age 27. Why? Nobody knows. This is the kind of stuff that happens when the Pleasure Police run amok.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
If a person can sign up for duty and then possibly be sent to war, as anthony74 has said, then

by god they can drink, and smoke all they want.

In my opinion.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think New Yorkers have enjoyed all of Bloomy they can stand. He knows how to get things done,

but as is true of people in general, sometimes strengths turn into weaknesses when they are

over-applied. Let's hope the next apple mayor is a good change, and doesn't stay around in office

too long.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
The military service example is always the best, but a point I heard a while ago may be a bit more disturbing. You can't be expected to drink or (apparently) use tobacco responsibly until 21, but it's perfectly fine to drive the vehicles that are one the leading causes of death in this country at 16? Hmmm.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Here in Indiana they passed a strict carding law -- since modified.
When I took a bottle of wine to the checkout, I was carded. No exceptions!!!
I am 73.
Thank you, Indiana. In a weird way, it was fun while it lasted. Got a lot of people talking about stupid laws.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
At this point it's all about his legacy. Between the age limit increase, the stupid soda gate and the no smoking in parks. He doesn't give a damn about the people he only gives a crap about his legacy. Arrogant ahole.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
jkenp I can understand where they are coming with on that strict carding law.

ctron

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
There have been a lot of great points already made on this thread. As an 18 year old who is in the reserve (NROTC), drives and votes, this law is unnecessary. 18 year olds can voice political opinions but not make the personal choice to smoke? How does that make sense?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Well, all the 18 - 20 year olds had better get out and vote this law / bill down! That is one right theyhavent taken away yet.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Military example is always the best. I do want to point out I NEVER see anyone under 18 smoke....
Point being they cant enforce the current law, so making another one seems to be just a way to have more people to give fines to.
Here in AL you have to be 19 to buy tobacco.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
fitzy: jkenp I can understand where they are coming with on that strict carding law.
Really, as I mentioned, I am 73. Can you come up with a reason to card someone so obviously over 18?
People need to review their gut moves more. So, many laws have come about by opening our hearts instead of using our brains.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Good point, dervis. Did changing the age for alcohol from 18 to 19, and then to 21 really do all that much? Didn't stop me and my friends in high school or college. Didn't stop me from having my first taste of skoal at the age of 15 either

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
If you're old enough to drive, which involves making decisions that directly involves other peoples lives, then you should be able to make decisions about your own life!

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I too understand the carding law, as you can lose your job to selling either tobacco or alcohol to a minor. Being said, I don't drink other than once in a blue moon (has to be something to celebrate). Last one I had took everything I had to choke down the one bottle I had (god it was nasty). However I have been in the military over 8 years now and seen "kids" as our government wants to call them. Go outside the wire and get IED'd, Morter shot at them, AK's and anything else able to shoot fired at them. They have lost lives, limbs, sanity, and yet they can not drink.
As Erich stated earlier you can drive at the age of 16. People (not just kids) are texting and driving all the time these days, why not outlaw text phones, cars, the right to drive? This country is tipping over faster and faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.