PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I hesitate to take smooth pipes out in the rain, or even sandblasts that I really like. So I have a Kaywoodie Natural Burl whose stinger was cut before I acquired it. Between that and the craggy, thorny finish, it has become my rainy day and farm pipe. Do you guys worry about the rain and the finish? I'm especially interested in the opinions of you sink washing guys, as you have dispelled a lot of the water myths. I make pipes and know that a good layer of wax should be alright, but I still worry about the acidity of rain water destroying my pipes.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I just give pipes that get rained on while I'm smoking a wipe down with a dry rag and so far its been enough. That said, my oldest pipe has only been around for 7 years so time will tell.

I don't usually go out into the rain to smoke, but the jaunt between the porch and the truck has never even crossed my mind as a problem. And, no... smooth pipes and blasts all get the hose, ha ha. I don't have any pipes that I exclude from getting a rinse in the sink. All of mine seem to be holding up very well, no problems at all.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I live on a farm. There is much more than a jaunt some days. So I smoke in the rain. I flip the pipe upside down when need be, but I don't like them getting soaking wet. I may be alone on this particular issue, though.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I smoke only a few bowls a week and only at home, so I never smoke in the rain. I do rinse my pipes on occasion and just dry them with a paper towel. So far, so good.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I use a rusticated Peterson in wet weather - actually, that was one of the main reasons I bought it.
I'm also a sink washing guy, but a quick rinse of the bowl is very different from hanging out in the rain, stem and all. And a word of caution: I've left pipes out in the rain by accident (for a several days) and the moisture can definitely ruin the surface of a smooth pipe as the hard and soft parts of the grain expand and contract, leaving subtle ridges in what had been a smooth surface.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Cosmic, was it a smooth pipe you left in the rain? FWIW, the one that got damaged was a Dunhill. :D
On a related topic, I have two pipes that I left out on a window sill (under an eave) all winter long here in New England. I haven't cleaned them up, but we'll soon find out what happens to a pipe treated like that.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Nah, crash, you're not crazy. Remember, that was Cosmic you were talking to. :mrgreen:
Me, to tell the truth, if it's more than spitting rain I just don't smoke. At home I smoke outside, but if it rains I just move my chair into the garage [especially if I'm doing Frigate or McClelland; yesterday I found an unopened tin of McC's Nording Hunter Retriever I'd forgotten I had -- lucky me!!!! :):):)].
Yeah; I know -- "Well, gee, Bill, that was just all *kinds* of helpful." :crazy: If weather's inclement I'm just not that likely to smoke unless I'm under cover.
Bill

It was a smooth bulldog left on the picnic table. I can't remember which was left on the tractor seat. There were a couple of guys, Ash was one of them, who soaked their pipes in water for a various amount of time, and had no permanent ill effects.
You know, I don't recommend soaking pipes in water as an intentional practice, but in my own experience, I haven't seen any negative effects that would make me worry about it. A little rain, phhht, the worst thing I could think of is that your tobacco will get wet. And, if I am having to do some work in the rain, I can wait till I get back to cover before I fire it up.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I suppose it depends on what is in the rain. Treated tap water is one thing. A heavy, dirty rain, think Texas Panhandle, is another. Acidic rain may cause problems. That said, if I'm working or playing in the rain, the pipe is going to get wet. So far, never had a briar/cob pipe show any bad effects of such treatment. The meers are mostly inside smokes.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
I have a rusticated Savinelli Minuto and a rusticated Savinelli Oscar tiger to smoke in the rain/snow. I experienced no issues so far. But keep in mind that I live in Iceland where acidic rain/snow is unknown.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Inveterate hot water washer here, and a smoker in the rain occasionally. But I dry the pipe after, so moisture isn't on for more than a few hours. I think you are totally safe.
Some have worried about stain coming off in water. I say if it comes off that easily it'd come off in your hands over time, or the finish was left, uh, unfinished.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I use cobs when it’s raining. One of my nice stanwell smooths experienced a bit of rain a while back. I just used a soft cloth and some elbow grease to rub out the surface marks

Status
Not open for further replies.