PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Actually, what I read while plodding through the 400+ pages of the report had nothing to do with the FDA's authority, but that they didn't see a need to ban online sales when urged to consider it.
It's being done elsewhere, so there's no reason to assume that it's impossible to have happen here as well. And even if online sales got banned, so what? Welcome to mail order and the phone. People won't be able to wipe out supplies of Esoterica in 5 seconds or less.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, we probably shouldn't invent alarm calls. Let's track the actual regulations. Otherwise we get rumors going that give people ideas.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, in the spirit of creative thought, I'll write up a list of my most dreaded possible pipe tobacco regulations and send them directly to the FDA in hopes they won't do any of them. I'm sure they'll understand. Hey, gimme a break.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
And, the FDA turd burglers can't do a thing about it
Kind of like the second amendment, right? Don't be confused, there are no laws that can't be changed if the right Federal Government people decide to change them.
In typical government fashion, I would first expect them to tax the living crap out of pipe tobacco. And as already has been discussed, the States start going after the sales tax money. When? Who knows.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Can any other organisation, other than the FDA, jump in and cause problems?
Sure they can. But is it an imminent possibility? No.
Now let's move on to other real problems, like B&M's ripping off newbies.

It's not just a few people who have brought up the possibility of restricted online sales. It has been a motivation for many people to cellar deep and wide on here since I have been a member. It has been mentioned often on the PM Radioshow. I have also heard B&Ms mention it as a possibility, especially the ones that have been affected by the chewing tobacco ban of the past. And, my pipe club talks about it frequently. As Sykes and others have said, it is not on the plate as an imminent threat, but it is something that could affect availability in the future. But, no it is not an immediate threat.

So, the OP has a valid reason for making the post.
And, despite my joshing assholery, it is great to hear that online retailers don't have any immediate fears. But, I will still cellar with the notion that tobacco will never be cheaper nor more available and easier to purchase than it is right now.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The potential threat to on-line orders seems to be more of a state issue right now than a federal one.
And even if online sales got banned, so what?
Well, for one thing it would likely mean the end of the forum.
Welcome to mail order and the phone.
I see no reason to assume mail and phone orders would still be allowed if web orders were banned.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
tobacco will never be cheaper nor more available and easier to purchase than it is right now.
That is the truth, and a good reason to hoard cellar. But, my problem is that it is also true of shrimp, diesel fuel, ammo and carrot cake. All things that I hold near and dear to my heart.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
But if it should, then be kind to your local B&M.
Well, if it comes to that, I'm just glad I made it past the newbie stage before having to face them.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well, if it comes to that, I'm just glad I made it past the newbie stage before having to face them.
They might be just practicing on the newbies before moving on to unfaithful internet shoppers.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The thought of no shrimp, diesel, ammo, carrot cake, or any other thing, doesn't wake me up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night like the possibility of no more delicious pipe tobacco.
Gadzooks! This is from a guy who grows his own!!
What? Me worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.