PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

namdoc

Lurker
Jun 28, 2015
Hi,

I am new to this forum or any forum. So I am probably making some mistake, please forgive if so. I have been smoking pipes for 62 years.. I started at 11 years old when he house, my parents let me smoke a pipe in the house so I wouldn't smoke cigarettes in the street. Different times, so I am now 73 years old, with a question.

Over the years I have settled on Peterson pipes with a PLip, smoke exclusively English blends, after trying many other pipes and tobaccos. The other day I saw pipe for sale o Cupojoes, a (Captain Pete) I ordered it because it was a Pete with a PLip an small for my pocket. When I got it I was aghast, it didn't have the name Peterson on the briar, just CAPTAIN PETE, also didn't say Made in Ireland, it also wasn't mentioned on the Cupojoes site this was some kind of sub brand. II hope Peterson isn't going the way of the world and cheapening their pipes for a bigger prophet margin,my question is does anyone have more info on this, and by the way.....HELLO ALL I AM GLAD I FOUND YOU BEFORE MY MANUFACTURES RECALL....:)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Welcome to the forums. Here is the answer to your question in detail: http://thepetersoncollector.blogspot.ca/2011/10/captain-pete-pipes.html
In short summary, "The modern Captain Pete line available from Cup O'Joe's is an exclusive, to them issue. They are XL size pipes that mirror the Kinsale and SH series of pipes with slightly shorter p-lip mouthpieces. The pipes in this unique and popular series are often erroneously referred to as Peterson 'seconds'." This from Jim Lilley at the Peterson Pipe Collector's blogspot.
I take this to mean, that you do indeed have an authentic Peterson pipe.
-- Pat

namdoc

Lurker
Jun 28, 2015
Pat, I do believe it is a real Peterson, BUT, without the stamp made in Ireland, it could be made anywhere. I have always valued this, and without their name stamped it seems they are not proud of their exclusive trademark or origin.

They have been known for both of these since I can remember. This is something they do with the seconds they sell, even these have " Made in Ireland" stamped on the briar.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I understand that you want the stamping.
Captain Pete's aren't a sub-brand, they are a line of Peterson pipes which use XL sized stummels from the Kinsale and Sherlock Holmes line with shorter stems, and are sold as an exclusive to Cup o' Joes. Nomenclature is apparently different on these pipes than on other Peterson pipes.
Cup O' Joes online photo of these pipes only shows one angle, and doesn't show the nomenclature on the stummel. The pipe is, clearly, made in Ireland given that it is clearly a Peterson pipe and they are manufacturing their pipes in Ireland.
Could you return it to Cup O' Joes because it doesn't have the nomenclature that is important to you? Maybe. If I was COJ I'd take it back to keep your business. But that's up to them and their return policies.
Good luck!
-- Pat

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Welcome to the forum namdoc. I just checked the Cup 'O Joe's site, and the Captain Pete line does say Made In Ireland.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I just checked the Cup 'O Joe's site, and the Captain Pete line does say Made In Ireland.
Yup. It just, apparently, doesn't appear on the pipe's stamping.
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Cup-O-Joes are good people and will take the pipe back if you haven't smoked it.

They look like a decent grade to me, I was expecting a $40 pipe.
cppsxl13.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Looks like a sturdy little take-along pipe with obvious Peterson lineage. I believe it will serve you well, in likelihood. I'd put it in the rotation and see how it goes.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It is a "house" pipe. One shouldn't expect Peterson or any other manufacture to make pipes with their nomenclature expressly for a retailer to vend in direct competition with the "branded" product at a lower price.

namdoc

Lurker
Jun 28, 2015
It is a "house" pipe. One shouldn't expect Peterson or any other manufacture to make pipes with their nomenclature expressly for a retailer to vend in direct competition with the "branded" product at a lower price.

Not sure what you mean by "house" pipe, when you say that I hear drug store mass produced junk..
It's not a "house" pipe, sold as a Peterson and costs $105.50, could of gotten a normal Peterson for that money. When pipes aren't stamped with country of origin, they could be made anywhere. Someone told me there made in England for Peterson, who knows. They always took pride in stamping their pipes, made in Ireland, makes me suspicious. At 73 an living in the world we have today, I don't trust anyone anymore.

I just think Cupojoes should have provided more information online. First time I bought from them, I always use Pipes And Cigars.
"In times of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Having said that, I've never bought a pipe online, from an ad showing only one picture of the pipe. I like to see the nomenclature as well (and thus, avoid surprises).
It definitely sounds like you are still unhappy with the pipe I'm certain Cup-O-Joes would take back an unsmoked pipe. I've ordered from them online and purchased at their shop, they struck me as honorable folks.

Aug 14, 2012
Hi Namdoc: I can't answer your question. Just wanted to say hi and express gratefulness. Until your arrival I had been the longest term smoker at 59 years for pipes, 61 including cigars. Hope you like it here.

namdoc

Lurker
Jun 28, 2015
Your right, buyer beware, should have been more cautious, but I wasn't buying from EBay and as you said they are "honorable folks." Plus Peterson name was all I needed in the past to assure quality in my briars, I guess no more !!!
Thank you for your opinions on my post, I am glad you will never fall prey to this kind of dilemma
No use beating a dead horse, I'm done venting. Going to suck it up and learn from the lesson. BTY the person who asked..... I'm from Worcester,MA

namdoc

Lurker
Jun 28, 2015
foggymountain, I guess having seniority in smoking not the greatest accomplishment, but I won't quit till I'm looking up at the grass, love my pipes an cigar also. Thank you for the welcome.

oakbear

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2011
UK
Not really sure what the issue is.

Peterson pipes haven't been made in Ireland for a long time anyway. They're imported as pre-shaped stummels by the box from Italy, and then graded, assembled and finished in Ireland. Maybe these were assembled elsewhere, although it seem unlikely as the shape is a standard stummel and their factory is all set up for churning out pipes assembled from pre-made parts.

Either way it looks the same standard as similar Petes.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
It's not a "house" pipe, sold as a Peterson and costs $105.50, could of gotten a normal Peterson for that money. When pipes aren't stamped with country of origin, they could be made anywhere. Someone told me there made in England for Peterson, who knows.
To your first comment above, this just isn't the case.
Peterson pipes aren't made just anywhere, they are made in Ireland. The shape, "Captain Pete" branding, and the "P" on the stem all say that this is a Peterson. Contemporary Peterson pipes are made in Ireland. The retailer you bought the pipe from says the pipe is made in Ireland, and if you wrote an email to Peterson, I bet they'd confirm this for you.
Peterson pipes were made in England for a time. This period is well documented.
There is a great deal of info here:

http://pipedia.org/wiki/Peterson

http://thepetersoncollector.blogspot.ca/2010/09/english-made-peterson-pipes-actually.html
Your pipe bears hallmarks, just not the hallmark you expected. You could return your pipe if this is a significant concern for you. Or you could smoke it with confidence, in the face of the authenticity which is provided in the hallmarks your pipe does have.
Good luck with your choice. I look forward to your future posts.
Not really sure what the issue is.

Peterson pipes haven't been made in Ireland for a long time anyway. They're imported as pre-shaped stummels by the box from Italy, and then graded, assembled and finished in Ireland. Maybe these were assembled elsewhere, although it seem unlikely as the shape is a standard stummel and their factory is all set up for churning out pipes assembled from pre-made parts.

Either way it looks the same standard as similar Petes.
Can you substantiate your claims about Peterson's fabrication? I understood that the briar was Italian, but that all fabrication including turning, was still taking place in Ireland.
-- Pat

oakbear

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2011
UK
Can you substantiate your claims about Peterson's fabrication? I understood that the briar was Italian, but that all fabrication including turning, was still taking place in Ireland.
Only anecdotally from people in the industry and who have visited their factory. They receive boxes of pre turned stummels and unworked stems made to their specs, then finish pipes from that, which is why their shapes are the same across their ranges. The workers pick what is a high grade, flame, rustic etc.
I suppose it depends what you call 'making'. Drilling the stummel, turning the stummel, final shaping, making stems from rod, cutting the briar etc. I doubt many factories work from scratch any more (maybe Dunhill?) as it is uneconomical when labour is cheaper elsewhere.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I don't understand what the issue is. The OP believes Petersons to be a quality pipe. The OP purchased a Peterson pipe. Therefore, the OP purchased a quality pipe. Smoke it and enjoy it. Not sure what a buyer should be wary of.

Status
Not open for further replies.