Question on Jarring

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

shayde

Oct 4, 2013
Hey guys I ran out to wally world to pick up some jars to hold 2oz of tobacco in, I was just wondering what size do you guys usually buy to hold a tins worth? I bought a couple tins off my buddy that he recently opened and didn't like and I know I won't get around to these blends anytime soon. I think I remember people saying they use the 4oz jars, but it doesn't look big enough to me. Any and all help is appreciated.

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
I got 50 oz of Frog Morton in the 4 oz size (minutes a couple of bowls). I did the same as you with those. I will pull them back out when I am ready to give the tobacco another whirl.

But, I find that it depends on the tobacco. A ribbon cut or drier tobacco will take up more room per weight, and flakes and soppy wet aromatics are more heavy per volume, so you can get more weight in a smaller jar.

cortezattic

Preferred Member
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Just a quick reminder of a tip I picked up somewhere: if you have an open pop-top style tin, you can rub wax around the rim

and press a square of aluminum foil over it. You can then snap the plastic cover over the whole thing, and it'll keep the

tobacco fresh for quite a while. I have a tin of McClelland blending Perique that is kept that way for over a year now. I use

bee's wax, but I think any soft wax, like candle wax, will do.

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
Isn't there a chance that some wax will crumble into the tobacco? Just curious. Wax fumes are some noxious stuff.

wilson

Preferred Member
Apr 17, 2013
Maybe I don't compress enough, but I usually use half-pint jars for 2 oz of ribbon cut tobacco.

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member
Jul 29, 2013
I can get about 30 grams (1 oz.) into the 4 oz. mason jar (the jelly jar size). If you don't usually buy bulk, this is a good route to go (at least for me personally) for mini-cellaring.