PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
It's hard to be ill at the world when every day you live inside that world seems like Saturday morning. I don't know that I smoke any more or any less these days but, I sure seem to have more time in which to enjoy it.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm not working due to some past medical problems and age discrimination. Looks like I'll be forced to retire on Social Security at the end of the month so that I can pay bills.
I was forced to sell my kayak and my Hobie ProAngler because I couldn't be sure I could get back in if I fell out - not an unlikely event due to balance problems.
So I don't work and I don't fish - the activities that consumed 80% plus of my time. Not having activities to keep me busy is literally driving me crazy. I'm going to look into a volunteer or part-time job with a worthy organization or maybe take some courses.
The pipe is one of the sole solaces I have of my old life - that and my Church.
Pax

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
People from the US are mentioning Social Security here. Is that much the same as what we in the UK would call the 'State Pension'? Over here you pay 'national insurance' throughout your working life and, when you are 65 (if you are a man) you get a pension. It isn't a huge amount and most people these days have an occupational pension as well. The current rate (assuming you have a pretty well uninterrupted employment history) is £122.30 per week (about $156).
Mike

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Same concept. In the U.S., the amount you draw depends to a certain degree on how much you contribute. I would get about $2400 monthly if I retired at 65. $1950 if I retire at 63.
Pax

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Thanks Pax
Sounds sort of similar. Over here the national insurance is a percentage of wages (like tax) but the rate of pension is the same no matter who you are. You do, however, need to have 38 years paying into it or you wind up with a reduced rate. This is why almost everyone has an occupational pension as well. It would be very hard to live on the state pension alone but if it is regarded as a 'top up' then people can live comfortably.
Mike

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Didache, same scheme here

as far as to ex military in retirement,often it goes the way that NCO (Up to Sergeant majors)many of those will continue to work part time in civile sector but when it comes to higher ranks, they seldom seem working after resignement/& retirement perhaps due to their higher pensions,

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
I retired in 2010. I wasn't smoking pipes then (cigars). I switched to pipes because I can have all of the paraphernalia at hand at home. I much prefer pipes to cigars. My morning routine starts with coffee, London Mixture and TV news, followed by a scan of favorite internet sites with another pipe, usually a VaPer or a Balkan. Much of my day is normally spent in my workshop, where I can take a smoke break whenever I like. I get SS and a small pension. It is enough to pay bills and allows me a few occasional luxuries like a bottle of Single Malt or taking my wife out to dinner. I don't miss going to an office every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.