PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
I have a questions for you guys. I recently visited a local tobacco shop in my city and was pleasantly surprised. They have a wonderful pipe and tobacco selection-a bit more expensive than online, but they have a fantastic smoking lounge. I normally smoke at home or at a select few friends houses. I haven't thought about spending a few hours at the local tobacco shop. But it looks like fun experience from time to time.
Do any of you guys hang out at the local tobacco lounge.
Also-do you buy your tobacco from them every visit, or just once in a while when you use their lounge.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Enjoy it and support it. I wish to be so lucky. I would certainly make use of the lounge and I have never bitched about higher prices, if they were within reason. The lounge alone would be worth paying 50% more for tobaccos
You also have to realize two major mitigating factors:
You don't have to spend a hundred to get free shipping
You can get an idea from the smell or maybe a free bowl before buying. That could save thousands of dollars and lives

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have my mail forwarded to the B&M; so that tells you how much time I spend thee. I've made some great friends over the years and I like to spend my money locally. B&M's are disappearing all too frequently and I find that really sad. Support them, hang out there and make some life-long friends.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Both of the B&M's that I use have nice indoor environments for smoking.
I'm angry and embarrassed to sit through a pipe club meeting, using the facility for several hours, and being the only one to make any purchase before leaving.
Yes, it costs more than my online shopping, but fuck sake, show some gratitude and support, not to mention manners.
These people invite us in to NICE areas to relax and smoke. At least get some pipe cleaners.
I've got plenty more rant where that came from, but I'm likely preaching to the choir. I'll be bringing it up at the Thursday meeting, likely making new friends... :twisted:
jay-roger.jpg

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
I love my local brick and mortar. Although there is a certain amount of price gouging, I understand that they need to stay in business somehow. I usually find something to buy when I'm there, and I also don't mind paying more for a pipe because I know exactly what I'm buying, how it feels in my hand, how i look with it and plenty of time to inspect it from all angles. Unfortunately, there is nowhere to sit while smoking in the shop but, there are thousands of magazines to read, as long as I buy the one I am reading, there should be no problem.

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I go to my local Stag Tobacco at least once a week and enjoy my pipe there for 4-5 hours. I make sure to buy a couple of bags of tobacco a month from them to support them for the nice place to smoke. Yes it is more expensive but in exchange for a nice place to smoke and be able to socialize with other smokers it is more then worth it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
One by one, the pipe shops have closed down, most notably the original Tinderbox earlier this year. Support them or lose them. And you may regret losing them all the more when internet sales of tobacco are banned. I always buy some tobacco and cleaners when I visit my local B&M. But they're getting out of the pipe tobacco business because it just doesn't pay for them to stay in it. Cigars will rule.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I can't smoke in my local tobacco store because local law prohibits smoking in any business. I do buy my OTC's from them when I run low. They have improved their pipe selection but the cost is too high. A Dr. Grabow costs $54 at the store and if I do buy a Dr. Grabow I can get it cheaper on line and that's with shipping.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I try to make it to the local B&M when I can. It's great to speak face to face with fellow pipe and cigar enthusiasts. I normally buy cigars because New York taxes push a tin of Dunhill Flake to $25.50 before 8% sales tax. I know it isn't the store's fault, but I won't pay all that tax. I will buy a couple of cigars and enjoy the camaraderie in the same manner I enjoy a pint at the bar.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Buy at least a tin or decent cigar. They are paying for that extra space, plus the heating and cooling. Electric to run a smoke eater. Also, dump an ashtray or two. In my experience the people that complain or constantly want to change the channel are the same folks that slip out without spending a dime.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The closest B&M to me is in a tourist area, so I avoid it.
I'd like to have a local (pub) that I could smoke at, and maybe buy a few tins, if they did not cost 3X what they cost online.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
I do notice in the stores cigars are King? Very seldom do I see people looking or buying any pipe tobacco or pipes at my store.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Cigars are indeed king. It seems like lower taxes, plus easier disposable nature, makes them a favorite. I am good with this, because I love a good cigar, but it might be time for pipe smoking to have its place.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Don't forget the insurance to allow smoking and any municipal fees. Was a friend of a restaurant owner. Close his bar on Sundays, but would serve regulars who paid later. At the time 1K bucks a year just to sell liquor one day a week at a struggling resto? Support all you can.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
My local is both a pipe and cigar shop, but I do buy the odd tin there even at 35$ Canadian per tin, that's around 30$ US, because I only smoke a half dozen bowls a week.
Last time I was there, the owner had pretty drastically expanded his pipe stocks and when I asked him about pipe sales, he said they are the highest in years. So maybe a pipe revival IS happening...

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
the beautiful art in pipes will bring this revival to all. I have a mental line where a great pipe remains the same, but the art goes on. That line changes all the time, but fortunately I am more of a TAD personality... when off my meds. JK
I can imagine there are all sorts of things to buy at a shop with lounge. Pipe tools, etc. If they sell liquor or beer, or even soda, I would enjoy. I would think the tobacconist would be happy for bulk sales where the cost difference might be lessened.
Getting sentimental, as I remember all the mom and pop shops for toys, food, etc that I used to go to. This shop's baseball gum had better cards in it, but the other had better comics. What memories

Status
Not open for further replies.