PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've hung out at a couple lounges on numerous occasions, and I always feel it is common curtesy to purchase something from the shop if I'm using their lounge. Whether it's a cigar, pipe tobacco or some food; I always buy something. If I took my own cigars to a lounge, used their facility and never bought anything; to me that would be in poor taste.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
There are two near me that I visit.
The one at which I spend the most time hosts our pipe club during the non-summer months. They are almost entirely geared towards cigars and the sports fans smoking them, with only a few old jars of bulk pipe tobacco, a handful of Petersons, and a basket of...basket briars. We always make a point of taking up a collection for the man on duty when the pipe club meets, and I've bought a number of cigars there. I'm also fond of the BYOB policy when our pipe club meets.
The other one is owned by an infamous crank. The shop has its own entry on tobaccoreviews.com and the reviews are more about the shop and its proprietor than the tobaccos. This shop is geared more towards pipes. He stocks no new pipes or tinned tobaccos but there are a lot of heavily marked up used pipes and about a dozen STG Lane bulks that the proprietor insists are his own Very Special Private Blends. He gets a decent cast of characters in there on the weekends, so it's hard to beat for codger anthropology.
I buy two ounces of outrageously priced bulk every couple of visits as a kind of lounge fee.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I keep meaning to, because it's like Toastmasters: you can meet a lot of interesting people.
But, I really dislike activities that are commercial in nature.
There needs to be some kind of Smoker's Park where people just come together organically.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo Jay
There are a number of B&Ms that have their blends on TR. In some cases they even do their own blending, or at least admixing. An example is the late, great Grant's Tobacconist.
hp

les

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The other one is owned by an infamous crank. The shop has its own entry on tobaccoreviews.com and the reviews are more about the shop and its proprietor than the tobaccos. This shop is geared more towards pipes. He stocks no new pipes or tinned tobaccos but there are a lot of heavily marked up used pipes and about a dozen STG Lane bulks that the proprietor insists are his own Very Special Private Blends. He gets a decent cast of characters in there on the weekends, so it's hard to beat for codger anthropology.
I buy two ounces of outrageously priced bulk every couple of visits as a kind of lounge fee.
OMG! I will totally go there. Prop. sounds fabulous.
But first need name and location, please.

duffer

Lurker
Mar 7, 2017
I travel a lot for work. I frequent Both &M's. If they have a lounge i always buy at minimum a tin. I seldom open it - usually goes to my cellar. I made an exception last week as I was in San Diego.. I bought a tin of 3-year old Brunello Flake. I opened and tried it as they had 3 more. I purchased all four.. The 3 unopened will sit at least 2 more years. I REALLY LIKE IT.

weedsnager

Can't Leave
Jun 30, 2015
Nw Indiana
Went into my B&M for some Sleepy Hollow tobacco today. After the purchase, I went to the smoking lounge to indulge in a pipe. Two guys sitting smoking cigars with their nose in their laptops. Maybe it's me, but don't you go to a lounge to socialize and meet people? Unless they where extremely shy-they looked like they had no interest in starting a conversation. Just my pet peeve.
Just because you go into a lounge to socialize, doesn't mean everyone else does. Maybe they talk with people all day at work, or trying to get 10 min away from the wife and kids. Be happy they are there spending money supporting the place and not criticizing them for what you think they should be doing.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Two guys sitting smoking cigars with their nose in their laptops. Maybe it's me, but don't you go to a lounge to socialize and meet people?
You know how, sometimes, you are smoking a tobacco you love, but just want a little variety? It's the same way with workspaces. Sometimes you just want a place to go to that is not your regular office where you can get some stuff done and, if they let you smoke, well, that's a great second office.

Status
Not open for further replies.