PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
I would suggest supporting the B&Ms. Where I live, no tobacco may be advertised or sold via the internet, so we can only buy from a physical shop.
If your B&Ms were to go out of business because of online sales, and online sales suddenly get curbed (as with many of our liberties), you'd be up a creek if there isn't a tobacconist near you.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"If your B&Ms were to go out of business because of online sales, and online sales suddenly get curbed (as with many of our liberties), you'd be up a creek if there isn't a tobacconist near you."
That is why it's a good idea to stock up while you still can. I intend on building a supply to last me about ten years.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
This should give you a hint John...
"and my next will surely be an Oom Paul, named after the former president of the country I live in."
Maybe you will be thinking he is Hungarian?
Regards,
Jay.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Jay, I have to drive 700 miles, Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, for HP Sauce and tinned, meat pies, and other distinctly British fare. Had I a tobacco B&M within a 100 miles, equipped with club chairs, humidor, etc., I'd avail myself if it's services on a fairly regular basis. Distances are different in Alaska, 360 miles to the next city of any size.
The Oom Paul would indicate the good, old USA (Union of South Africa) to me.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Had I a tobacco B&M within a 100 miles, equipped with club chairs, humidor, etc., I'd avail myself if it's services on a fairly regular basis."
I appreciate what you're saying Warren but I did say...
"If you have a local B&M that has no smoking lounge,"
...it then becomes just another shop.
BTW, HP Sauce is delightful!
Regards,
Jay.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
Went into my B&M for some Sleepy Hollow tobacco today. After the purchase, I went to the smoking lounge to indulge in a pipe. Two guys sitting smoking cigars with their nose in their laptops. Maybe it's me, but don't you go to a lounge to socialize and meet people? Unless they where extremely shy-they looked like they had no interest in starting a conversation. Just my pet peeve.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
Have them smoke at home by themselves. If they don't want to chat or make new friends. Smoke at home

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm asocial. I have friends, do not need nor want new ones. I enjoyed my old B&M but, I never felt the need to participate in the chitchat, that wasn't a requirement at the Tobacco Cache. But, I did feel the need to frequent/support the shop, buy pipes and blends, enjoy a free cuppa, that sort of thing.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm not asocial, and agree with Warren.
Also, some cannot smoke at home. There are no prescriptions for how social you need to be to use a lounge.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Well other folks will have problems with those who insist on chatting! Diff strokes...."
I quite agree John. Not everyone is in a chatting mood all the time. Me, personally I find it difficult to hold a conversation whilst smoking a pipe so would never visit a smoking lounge even if one existed hereabouts.
I'm one of those rare beasts that can thrive in my own company, which is how I prefer things. I strongly discourage visitors and even eschew speaking to folks on the 'phone. I can go weeks without any social interaction at all and that is how I like it. If that makes me asocial then so be it.
Regards,
Jay.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Jay, I go through major spells like that, and perhaps that is how I am. But I also, in Days of Yore, liked to get out to bard and such talking to fresh faces if the mood was right. I would love to sit in a pipe lounge now, but having my pipe here, reading or watching a movie or listening to music is a sublime ecstasy
David

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
No dedicated pipe lounges here, but several quite nice cigar bars. My personal problem with all of the cigar spots is that I absolutely reek of ashy cigar when I leave. Even just to pop in and purchase a couple of tins of tobacco & check out the selection of pipes: I cannot stand the heavily concentrated cigar odor. As much as I enjoy pipes--& even the occasional cigar--I can't imagine a comfortable sit in an environment so inundated with cigar smoke. It's disappointing, as I think I'd quite like the potential fellowship & companionability. But it's not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.