PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
I am almost settled on buying this pipe: https://victorypipes.ca/shop-tobacco-pipes/lorenzetti-pipes/augustus-caesar-pipe-shape-27
It says it has an insert to allow it to be smoked without a filter, and that it can take a 9mm filter. Seems like the best of both worlds to me, being able to use it both ways.
however, I want to just make sure that I don't have to use only lorenzetti 9mm filters. I assume in most cases a 9mm filter, is a 9mm filter and any brand will work in any 9mm filter pipe?
I've done some googling and I wasn't able to find any lorenzetti 9mm filters in Canada, but I did find this: https://www.cubancigar-shop.com/products/view/2271-big-ben-pipe-filters
If possible I'll just order two boxes, totaling 80 filters, which with how seldom I plan on smoking, should last me at least a year.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think 9 mm filters are standard. I've never seen them further differentiated. You can buy the adaptor too, and try that. Many filter pipes smoke fine without a filter or adapter, but it depends on the pipe. The other consideration for the future is, you may not want to get too many different filter systems on hand. There's the 9 mm, various 6 mm (most interchangeable), Savinelli balsa that are about 6 mm, Brigham rock maple inserts, Nording keystones, and others. When I can buy filterless pipes, I prefer them,, but I use adaptors in Dr. Grabow and Savs. I rarely use filters but recommend them when you want a milder version of a strong blend or when you plan to smoke more than usual, like a a pipe club or pipe show. Filters are kind of a trap for new pipe smokers because they aren't well explained. The different brands push their own filter or lack of filter, and no one takes time to explain the various kinds. I think this thread will give you what you need to go on. I wish every new pipe smoker could read it. I think 9 mm filters are almost universally used in Europe.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
Okay, I've just bought the pipe, expected to come in on Wednesday.
I think from now on, I am going to mostly buy pipes which give you an option of using a filter or not using a filter, because I like to have that choice.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hmmm .. my experience with adapters is that you have to clean the pipe after each smoke, and that moisture builds up in the slight space between the adapter and the tenon inner walls when you have a larger bowl. Personally, an adapter works, but I do prefer a no filter pipe for the no filter experience. As far as 9 mm filters go ... any should work, depending on your preference - they all come in the same lengths (not something I could say about 6 mm filters). I for one am a Vauen guy. They are quite popular around here, and present a fair quality to price ratio - although I could name a few more expensive, and less accessible 9 mm filters.
Sharing my experience: I have started smoking filtered with some stronger blends that upset my stomach. After that I have learned that you can puf a little harder on a 9mm without getting tongue bite, which is nice especially when I work and I am concentrated on something which distracts me from my cadence. I find plain 9 mm filters not to mess with flavor, with some exceptions - one being the bouts choquin filters. The meer chip filled filters, or those crystal thing filters, different story - I don't fancy them much. Your pipe will also adapt 9mm balsa, they all come in the same length. That may be an experience for you. $84 for a pipe is not cheap, but it's not a fortune either, so I think you made a right choice if you are looking to test the whole filter / no filter experience. I don't know this Augustus Caesar brand, but I congratulate you for the nice looking pipe.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I think you will be fine. I have several different 9mm pipes and at least three brands of filters. All are interchangeable. The Savinelli balsa wood filters are my favorite.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
It's by Lorenzetti, it's from the "Emperor" line, the specific pipe is called "Augustus Cesar". There's others named after other Emperors.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Best thing you can do is getting some balsa wood from hobby store and cutting you own incerts.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I think it makes a lot of sense to buy 9mm filter pipes and an adapter if you think you like filters. You may find that you like smoking certain blends or types of blends with filters, and some without. The filters should absorb some nicotine as well so you can adjust depending on that as well if you're inclined.
I have a Stanwell 9mm pipe that I use an adapter for. I don't find that it needs cleaning after every smoke, but I do clean it off occasionally. More often than I do a deep cleaning of the pipe in general. I actually have never tried a filter, but I think I'm going to grab a pack next time I'm at the shop just so I can test them out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I use the 6mm adapters on Savs and Dr. Grabow to focus the airway a little. Most pipes do fine without it, but to me the airway can seem to dilute the flavor, but every pipe is different so try it all ways.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
  • :lol: I just can't help myself...

Marketing pioneer Daniel Boone Savinelli with an early focus group

1510747522357687855319.jpg

taildraggin

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2019
I have many straight pipes from my earlier era of smoking 15 yrs ago but have pretty much standardized on the 9mm for my new ones. I was much more a 'traditionalist' in my first pipe era and probably would have poopoo'd them then. They add a small, modern inconvenience that clashes a bit with pipedom.
They do seem to be universal, as far as I've seen. I buy them by the sack (Big Ben) on amazon and most seem to be made by the same guy, rebranded, except Vauen's Dr Perl, who invented them. Their Dr Perl and my other 9mms are all interchangeable.
Since the 9mm has charcoal that you draw thru, it's a true filter to some degree or another. Most of the other wood/balsa inserts are proprietary to each brand and seem to be "moisture sponges" rather than actual filters. I don't think you draw much through the wood - they seem to be there to soak up moisture. (I don't know anything about the proprietary Grabows.)
I don't find any difference in the draw of 9mms and appreciate the amount of water and goo that they catch. I change and swab after every bowl.
I find the flavor "clearer/defined", if a smidge "lighter" and cooler -- to the level of my meerschaum, if not cooler. I like strong tobacco.
Like anything in pipes and tobacco, your results and ethos may vary (daily!). They are worth trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.