PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
The seller involved clearly states he refurbishes the pipes to like new or similar language. Some hyperbole? Perhaps, but he is very, very good at it. If you look at his listing over a few weeks you will see he uses basically the same descriptive language over and over. Some hyperbole? Probably. I got news for some of you. The trust your attorney drew up for you isn't original either. So if you don't want a pipe that has been refurbished to a nice state go buy elsewhere. Am I wrong or isn't the pipe in question around 90 years old? I doubt too many people were buying pipes like this to display rather than smoke. Lightly used should obviously be given some context, remembering the recurring, boilerplate descriptions of all the pipes. I recently had a multi-pipe transaction with this seller that he completed to my advantage which was totally unexpected and unasked for. I find him very trustworthy. If you are going to buy old classics like this you should know know a lot more about the brand and the era than I care to know. Sable knows and buys these types of pipes and has learned to buy them "as is". That is very good advise.I will continue to consider pipes Chance offers for purchase. Hopefully this doesn't develop as a "get Moty" type thread of times past. End of lecture. Time for some Mixture 79 in a cob!

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
The reason for my original post was not to impugn the seller and I'm glad to see so many people have come to his defense. I like to think that we "brothers of the briar" are all gentlemen in the best sense of that word.
The listing for the pipe in question clearly indicated that it was an early production piece. While the photos of the pipe were not extremely sharp, I questioned that identification for several reasons. This is not merely some fussy insistence on my part but rather my opinion of the relative quality of those pipes made after the original carvers (Ascorti and Radice) left the company.
There may be many valid reasons for the pipe to be described as it was but I chose not to bid on it due to what I consider a discrepancy.
I hope whoever finally bought the pipe enjoys many years of smoking with it!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Hopefully this doesn't develop as a "get Moty" type thread of times past.
Hopefully not indeed. Chance is an excellent ebay seller. In re the Sasieni, just calling it like I see it, no judgement involved. The pipe is what it is. Full disclosure, I'm NOT a bidder on it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As someone pointed out, there was a small crack visible in the rim of the Sasieni in the original listing, prior to restoration. It didn't go through, jut beginning. For me that's a concern. If it's beginning to happen where I can see it, do other issues lurk?
While I'm aware that buying any used pipe exposes one to potential problems, heck buying any pipe new or used has potential issues, I prefer to make as knowledgeable a decision as possible. That's why I prefer minimal to no restoration on the pipes I'm considering.
But that's just me, and mine is a decidedly minority view.
Most buyers want plug and play.
EDIT:
I don't take stock in sellers declarations on condition. I look at the images, and if not satisfied, request more. I've seen lumps of shattered charcoal listed as "exc cond", "a rare and fine addition to your collection", and "lightly used".

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The first photo focuses on the crack visible in the original listing. The second shows what looks like a line that remains visible trough the bowl coating. The line looks to fall pretty close to where the previously visible crack was.
sasienipanel.jpg

sasienipanel2.jpg

The reason for my original post was not to impugn the seller and I'm glad to see so many people have come to his defense. I like to think that we "brothers of the briar" are all gentlemen in the best sense of that word.
I don't think anyone is trying to impugn the seller. Speaking only for myself, I am just trying to show what you get from a seller-restorer. There are pros and cons to buying a pipe that has already been restored.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sorry guys, I'm not convinced that is a crack but a scratch.
You do have a choice of not reaming the pipe of the existing cake and maintaining the same dimension. That is not a win in my book, if your plans are to smoke the pipe. The wall width is no doubt incrementally smaller, again that is a given when cleaning pipe. When you clean - dimensions HAVE to be changed, there is no way around that issue or you can chose to live with a dirty pipe. I'll take the cleaned/restored version. I've met and talked to Chance at a number of East Coast shows. I'm certain he would not sell a pipe that has been cracked.
The "after" dimension is listed as taller, which either means it wasn't topped or dimensions are hogwash. But if I had to trust someones measurements, I'd go with Chance over Tinashobby (I don't know her).
This is a very interesting discussion!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Sorry guys, I'm not convinced that is a crack but a scratch.
A scratch it may be, but look at the line of the scratch/crack going down into the bowl. I have seen fissures extend high enough on a bowl that they form surface cracks in the rim.
sasienipanel3.jpg

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
"I've seen lumps of shattered charcoal listed as "exc cond", "a rare and fine addition to your collection", and "lightly used"."
Right, Brush.

There have been a number of these lately. It leaves me sitting there going....what? A picture that is fuzzy of a flaw is one thing, but when it is the only one of four sharp ones, that is not smart marketing. But to make statements that are obvious to a blind man as incorrect makes the seller a right off. I am not talking about the crack above, rather the obvious bad conditions marketed as you stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.