PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I really enjoy this blend as it is a top notch aeromatic blend. It feels a little moist but lights well with some care. The char light was rum and then more rum. The flavor of nice dark rum stays from the initial light all the way through to the bottom of the bowl. Until I smoked this I hadn't realized the extent that rum contains vanilla, caramel, and brown sugar notes. Also present are notes of spices that one would associate with spice cookies and pie. There is an occasional note of nuttyness from the burley. The blend does not bite at all but it has a defined "sweet spot" in that the sweetness really lives in that nice spot where you sip the blend. Pushing it the sweetness disappears. I'm not sure that I ever tasted the VA in the blend, the sweetness I think may have been from the VA, hence the sweet spot, but I'm fairly certain it was also the topping. No chemical taste, clean burn, and a very pleasant room note. My beard smells amazing and the wife highly approves. I will be purchasing much more of this blend!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been recommending Queen Anne's Revenge for, maybe, years. It is tobacco forward and a nicely balanced blend. Altadis makes a similar blend without the rum, called Casanova, because the room note is pleasing to ones partner. FYI, Queen Anne's Revenge was the name of the pirate Blackbeard's flagship. It was re-discovered where it was probably scuttled in the shallows off North Carolina and is being carefully salvaged. It's a nice blend for aromatic fans and for those who like an occasional aro.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The Queen Anne's revenge was the English frigate HMS Concord, launched in 1710, and captured by France. Being renamed La Concorde de Nantes, it was once again captured by Benjamin Hornigold and placed under the command of Edward Teach (Blackbeard) who renamed her Queen Anne's Revenge, and ran her aground a year later in 1718 on the North Carolina coast. Love piratey stuff, and Queen Anne's Revenge tobacco!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chasing', great history on that fine ship. I might have known Edward Teach didn't buy it directly from the new-ship yard. My old minesweeper, USS Gallant, was eventually decommissioned and given to the Taiwanese Navy, and renamed, and is probably still in service, despite being built in 1956 (if I remember correctly). When I was aboard, it had four Packard diesels (yes, the old Packard motor company). It was later fitted with Japanese diesels. The hull was all Washington Spruce, so as to be non-magnetic for minesweeping. So these old ships can have many lives, like cats. While USS Gallant was still in commission it was featured on reporting at the beginning of the first Gulf War, to get sailors reactions to this new call to arms. It was twenty years in my past by then.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
mso, the never ending wellspring of info, I tip my hat to you. Love learning new nautical lore!

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
mso, I had a teacher in highschool who served on that same ship in the mid 80s. So interesting to see it mentioned here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
texmex', amazing you had a teacher who served on USS Gallant. It is a small world. It only had a crew of about 70, so even over time, it is not a huge cohort of former sailors. When I was aboard, the Exec Officer was a big guy from my hometown. He made a point of being none too cordial to me, though not bad, just aloof as an officer to an enlisted guy, and he was some years older. I've lost touch with everyone I served with on there, just didn't keep up. It was a huge variety. There was a great quartermaster first class from New Orleans who did a lot of the navigation after the junior officers pretended to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.