Quality Aromatics--- help me not grow out of them!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
Hello all! This is my first post on this forum. before i was on puff.com, but not too many people on that forum i think. anyway
I started smoking my pipe with aromatics, but i came into the hobby from cigars. i appreciate both, and love to vary it up depending on my mood. one day ill want an english blend, another day an aromatic. the problem im having is that im not getting as much as id like from my current aromatics.
I started with house blended aromatics that bit the shit out of my tounge, and werent that good in quality.

Then I researched and read that Boswells makes good aromatics, so I ordered 4 of them or so. Chocolate cream, sweet tea, no bite delite, premium burley... they are pretty good, they dont bite nearly as much, but they have VERY little flavor. Most of the time, im just tasting hot air...
I REALLY want to keep aromatics in the loop even if i dont smoke them as often. im OK with single profile aromatics, like if the tobacco was trying to just have a chocolate, or berry flavor. Im also ok with a tobacco that is more complex that has a casing aromatic flavor. mainly, im looking for the highest quality aromatic, with flavor! I want the best that is offered.
so far all ive come up with to try is Plumcake, and Dans devils Holiday.
What do you got for me?

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
First off, welcome to the forum Costa. I started as an aro smoker as well and 1Q was my go to blend but after a while I found myself wanting to change it up a tad. I wanted more Vanilla and a bit more Vitamin N then what 1Q had to offer. I started mixing and matching and "Fat Bastard" was born. I settled on 45% 1Q, 45% of Sutliff D-40 Vanilla, and 10% cubed Burley and it made for more of what I was looking for in a blend. I mostly smoke Straight Virginia or VaPers now but now and then I still enjoy a large bowl of Fat Bastard.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Two of my favorites, check the price against the individual tin price. Made with very good tobacco, might be worth considering.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/erik-stokkebye/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=134725

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome, costa226. I enjoy aromatics for a change of pace, although I'm mostly a non-aromatic smoker. My criteria is that an aromatic needs to have a quality tobacco-forward flavor. The flavoring should be pleasant and present, but just a way to set off the goodness of the leaf. A few I have enjoyed lately are Peterson Special 2013 Reserve, Altadis Queen Anne's Revenge (rum), Lane's LL-7 (caramel and vanilla), and Newminster Cherry #3. I think Peterson also does a commendable job with their whiskey blend. Two things I remember: Aromatics drive the economics of tobacco blending, and there are more aromatic blends and more of it sold than non aros. So financially, aro smokers are sustaining the pipe tobacco market. The people who have a developed sense about pipes and blends tend to be primarily non-aro smokers, but the the majority of pipe smokers start and stay with aromatics, as near as I can tell.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Welcome Costa. My favorites include McClelland's Tastemaster and Tropical. Then there is Sutliff's Molte Dolce but you do need to dry it before smoking. Good luck!

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
After reading your post these come to mind as something you should try:
Dunhill Royal Yacht

Sam Gawith 1792 Flake

Erinmore Flake

Mac Baren Scottish Blend

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I always recommend Lane Limited's 1Q. It's a nice light Cavendish with a wonderful vanilla flavor and an incredible room note. Another one from Lane Limited that's good is RLP-6. Nice chocolate/vanilla flavored blend. If you're looking for a cherry aromatic TK-6 is a great one.
Dan Tobacco's Devil's Holiday is a good one. Just finished a tin of it a week or two ago. Nice flavor to it and it doesn't bite. Fairly complex for an aromatic as there are many different flavorings used and noted. I will note though that it'll ghost the hell out of whatever pipe you have it in.
Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake is another good one. The sweetness from the Virginias and the Cavendish come through and the vanilla cream top dressing comes at just the right pace. It has a glorious room note. It can bite a bit if you push it too hard. Their 7 Seas line is also a wonderful line of flavorful aromatics that are well balanced to the flavors of the tobacco. The Red Blend in that line is a unique cherry blend in that the cherry is a bit of a tart wild cherry instead of a typical sweet maraschino cherry.
Peterson does aromatics pretty well. Their limited edition blends (Special Reserve, Summertime, and Holiday Season) are really good. I really enjoy their Connoisseur's Choice, Nutty Cut, Sunset Breeze, and De Luxe Mixture as well.
Peter Stokkebye's Nougat is another famous one. It's essentially the same as Lane's 1Q. Stokkebye also does a top notch cherry blend in Cherry Bon Bon.
I've heard Trout Stream from Pipes&Cigars is another good aromatic, though I've never had it myself.
Just keep at it. I'm sure you'll find a blend that works for you.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
From 4-Noggins you can try Trout Stream, Killington, and Lord Methley....all damn good aros.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I agree with the Macbaren Vanilla Cream flake, Peterson Nutty Cut, and the erik stokkebye suggetions.
However imo one the finest aromatic blends out there is Reiner Professional Mixture. I am not much of an aromatic guy but this stuff is quality. I always have a tin on hand. The only downside is that it is pricey.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Should also note Straus Tobacconist in Fort Thomas Kentucky has two seasonal blends that are to die for in Wenceslas (a Christmas berry flavored blend) and Sleepy Hollow (a Halloween/Fall pumpkin flavored blend).

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
If you want to try some of the finest custom blended aromatics I have ever tasted you should check out Pipeworks/Wilke out of Vermont. Carol Burns came from the Wilke Pipe shop which was one of NYC's finest pipe shop from 1870 until the 1980s when it merged with Elliot Nachwalter's Pipeworks which subsequently closed and moved to Vermont. She's a bit pricey but she uses only the finest nsturally cased tobaccos. You can get an idea of what she producrs from her reviews at the links below
http://www.vtpipes.com/tobacco.html
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand/192/pipeworks-wilke

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I don't smoke many aros, mostly straight VA's, English/Balkan, and the occasional VA/Per. The only aro that really does it for me is Dan Tobacco's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. Great Stuff, has a nice flavor too.

Welcome to the forum....... great place here! :puffy:

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
Holy CRAP I LOVE THIS FORUM.
My first post and so many helpful and interesting replies, all revolving around such a sweet and easy going hobby.. ill be on here more. The other forum im usually on pertains to going on long distance adventures on a motorcycle. This will definitely go right up there with it, im covered.
I will look into all of these tobaccos to pick out a few, it seems there are some experienced people here. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.