PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
I was looking to procure a bit of Syrian Lat to broaden the scope of some pure oriental blends.

I have run across a couple of threads doubting the validity of McConnells Pure Latakia
Does anyone have a word to say about this? If you have experience with this leaf, I would appreciate any and all help.
Is it Syrian or not?
Are there any other good routes to take to buy a few ounces of Syrian for blending?
Thanks,
P.S.
If there are any members with a bit to sell, I would appreciate a link.
Joe

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I've wondered about this one as well. I was under the impression that Mac Baren and McClelland were the only blenders with real Syrian Latakia remaining.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What is great stuff? Very flavorful Latakia! When Latakia, Balkan, and English blends figured ore highly in my daily smoking, I used McConnell Syrian for tweaking mixtures, and for concocting a couple of my own.

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
I'm with @sablebrush52 - I've used McConnell's Pure Latakia (Syrian) in my mixtures and it is an excellent cut of Latakia that burns well and has that sought after wine-like character I like in my Balkan blends.
You will not be disappointed in your purchase...maybe because you didn't order more?!!? Anyway, a little goes a long way but I've also made some blends with a heftier amount of Syrian as I tend to like my Balkans and other English blends to be heavy in Latakia (both Cyprian and Syrian). It plays nicely with both Virginias (add to MacBaren's Dark Twist) and Oriental tobaccos alike.
Enjoy!

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I've heard that is not actually Syrian. But an imposter that is similar tasting to Syrian.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
I smoked a bowl of it today.
A few things don't really add up. First, if you go to to the website of the manufacturer Kohlhase Kopp
you will see a different tin cover that the one available here in the U.S. I suspect the tin with the addition of "Syrisch"

is the old tin. However the tin I purchased has a sticker on the back that read syrian latakia.
I did e-mail KK and they responded that they have not had syrian for years.
I popped the tin, and it still wasn't very apparent what was inside. The deep dark red to black leaf had a somewhat syrian scent. A bit softer and "wine like" than the cyprian i'm used to.
I Packed a bowl in the trusty Falcon standard. The leaf was on the dry side for Lat.
I believe the jig is up. It smoked like a fine and tasty Cyprian Lat. Any faint smell of syrian was now overthrown by a

remarkable yet familiar cyprian flavor.
I have read a few reviews saying, "it will turn you into a werewolf" - "it will hi-jack your taste buds for the day".
I didn't find this to be the case. Smoking the straight Lat was not unpleasant at all. It was a little monotonous, but

the leaf had a remarkable ability to display a toasty body, a perfume like essence and a deep smokey overtone. I enjoyed it.
It was not harsh or overbearing, actually quite tasty. It produced plumes of chewy blue smoke and was cool as Steve McQueen.
I'm not sure if there is a bit of syrian mixed into this tobacco or not but pure it is not, however it is a fine quality lat I will mix into blends, and I will probably buy more to have on hand when this is gone.
But unlike real Sryian, it was not strong in nicotine.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.