PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
This morning the wife and I were on the way to Home Depot and of course I was smoking my pipe. As we pulled up to the stop light my pipe needed a tamp and a relight so as I was puffing out some pretty spectacular relight clouds I noticed a state trooper setting at the light as well watching my every move. The light turns green I go past him and he immediately whips in behind me and throws on his lights. As I pull to the shoulder my wife looks and me and says "He probably thinks your smokin pot or something"? That thought had never crossed my mind, maybe I replied. Mr. John Q Law took his sweet time coming up to my truck (probably running my plates) and the whole time I was waiting I continued smoking my pipes blowing a few perfect smoke rings out the wind for good measure. As he walks up to the window he starts to give a little chuckle and says, "I didn't think there would be anyway in hell that you would look directly at me and fire up a marijuana pipe but I haven't seen anyone smoke a tobaccoo pipe since my great grandfather and that was 30 years ago!" I showed him my freehand pipe in which he was very interested. I told him a little bit about pipe smoking and he said that he is trying to stop dipping snuff and that he might take up the pipe! He apologized for the unnecessary stop and left us to it. So if your in northern Illinois any time soon be on the look out for the new pipe smokin state trooper brought to by yours truly. :puffy:
John

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
I've always wondered what my police force was thinking every time they see me take a puff on the road in the car. Never been stopped for it though. Good to know they didn't hassle you for it!

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Cool story, I know sure get a lot of looks when smoking a pipe while driving.
Thanks for sharing.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Great story. I think most cops are totally cool with tobacco pipes. The kind of man who becomes a cop is usually the kind of man that appreciates a tobacco pipe, and the age and morals that a pipe implies. Goes back to what America once was. And I suppose most cops are just trying to maintain the peace and order we all once took for granted. They're underpaid overworked Joes just trying to make ends meet, like the rest of us good folk.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great story and I like how the cop handled it.
It reminds me of the time when I was notified that an alarm was going off in my pool hall, so when I get there the officer who was sent sees me pull in with a cigar in my mouth. He smiles and then grabs his still lit cigar off his bumper and we start talking cigars. We became great friends because of the cigar.

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
Tax dollars at waste as usual,what the hell is the matter with these so called public servants?Do they really think someone with any commom sense would drive down the road smoking the shit.

aikatal

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2013
Hope you invited that trooper to join this Forum-- great place for him to learn more about the pleasures of the (tobacco) pipe.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Colorduke, no one should drive under the influence of anything but yes it does happen, and it happens a lot. It seems the cop was being as polite as possible while doing his job the best he could, and was even friendly to boot.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Tax dollars at waste as usual,what the hell is the matter with these so called public servants?Do they really think someone with any commom sense would drive down the road smoking the shit.
Most folks that smoke that stuff dont have any common sense, and yes they do drive right down the road smoking it. They have also taken to using cheap basket pipes too. They cram a screen right down in a drug store Grabo and bam right off down the road smoking dope.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I get second glances when I'm relighting too, but never more then when I'm smoking my Falcon. It's that metal that makes people wonder what they saw.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
Unfortunately I was not as lucky. When I was pulled over for smoking my pipe, I was told to get out of the car to and keep my hands on the hood of the car so the officer can find the rest of my “drug paraphernalia” I knew it was all downhill when his first words were” is there a reason to why I smell marijuana on you and in your car?” he did seem thoroughly disappointed when he did not find anything but my road pipes, smelling nothing of cannabis and a few tins of tobacco… and his mood was not improved when he just told me to get into my car and get out of town.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Richard I think I would file a complaint with internal affairs. Even if it goes no farther than his superiors having to call and apologize it means that the fella you were in contact with will be reprimanded.

I never allow them to mistreat me. Camera phones are fantastic tools for protecting your rights and dignity.

Status
Not open for further replies.