PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
I almost never drink anymore,since alcohol and coumaadin are an unpredictable combination at least for me, but it was Super Bowl Sunday 2017 and CupoJoes was having a 10% off sale that weekend and during halftime.....
That really is how I got 6 tins.

Reactions: Elric

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Hawky,

cigrmaster your slowing down man, I think you should have made it an even number. 100 is always a nice even number as far as tins go, maybe 200 for 50 gram tins, 100 for 100 gram tins. You’ve got 61 to go.
I do have 40 tins. I bought the first then added the other 39. I thought 40 3.5 oz tins translating to 80 50m gram, was a decent number. I know it ain't 100 or 200 but for the last blend that I am adding to my cellar it should be plenty.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
At some point I'll get around to trying some. My wife has nearly finished her first tin.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I tried to avoid this thread as my cellar is outa control. But, the next show I attend, I may have to try a sample. By then I’ll have an empty spot that needs filled.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I ended up mixing it with some Cunningham 1921, which was very good. My take on it is that it is a strong VaPer, a little too strong for me. Cutting it with the Cunningham made it more Virginia Forward, which is more my preference.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like the people in Seattle who say it rains all the time and is miserable, to keep the outsiders out. It's true, once a blend becomes a celebrity, all the retailers are out of stock forever after.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Bought my first tin a few weeks ago, and I agree. It's excellent, er, pure garbge. Nobody should cellar it, but luckily, if people did, it's made by MB, so hopefully quantities will remain plentiful

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Why do you people do this? I like a tobacco underneath the radar, one of you boogers goes and does this and the next thing you know, some lonely old feeblefester buys forty pounds of the stuff because he thinks he’s immortal and I can’t get it any more. Then, when he kicks off two months later and his mailman finds him by smell, the hazmat crew dumps the lot. Cui bono?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I like a tobacco underneath the radar...
That's probably a wise strategy. It's too hard to compete with hoarders who have good connections and bottomless wallets. The best move is to find some blend they've overlooked and hope it lasts. I have a few secret favorites that bring me happiness because they've been neglected by others despite being excellent. I can still get them relatively easily and at reasonable prices. It's kept me from posting on Tobacco Reviews just because I don't want to risk killing the unicorn ;) (Not that I'm an influencer of any note but still...)

Reactions: Elric

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Why do you people do this?
Yes, but blends get discontinued all the time, so encouraging popularity is a good thing.
And even if people are acting out of purely selfish motives when they talk up a tobacco, I'm sure lots of people get pleasure simply from appearing to be knowledgeable when they recommend something good to someone else.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
some lonely old feeblefester buys forty pounds of the stuff because he thinks he’s immortal and I can’t get it any more
Seriously? If just a few purchases of 40 lb wipes out the supply, it probably isn't a wise tobacco to chase. I have around 340 lb of tobacco. I don't recall ever purchasing more than 4 or 5 pounds of one blend in a single transaction. I also haven't found any blend I couldn't acquire if I put a reasonable effort into it over time. It is a shame the pipe tobacco distributors don't have an adequate inventory to allow the casual smoker to buy 1 or 2 tins of anything they want whenever they want. It pretty much was that way 15 to 20 years ago. Walk into most B&M's and there were gold bags and tins of Penzance and Stonehaven. Times have clearly changed though. Adapt or do without these days.
I don't recall ever looking and seeing Doblone d'Oro unavailable. There were 97 tins available at Smoking Pipes a minute ago when I checked.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
It pretty much was that way 15 to 20 years ago. Walk into most B&M's and there were gold bags and tins of Penzance and Stonehaven
That's exactly the way I remember it. The average pipe smoker didn't think about cellaring back then and the advantages of aging pipe tobacco weren't widely known. I practical lived at Iwan Reis in the early 90's and talked pipe tobacco all the time with one of the sales guys. I don't recall anyone discussing cellaring or suggesting you ought to stock up on the Rattrays or Gawith just to be safe. The occasional old coot buying a tub of Granger was as close to hoarding as I ever saw.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Why do you people do this?
To share a blend that others may enjoy, increase sales, and keep the blend in production for a little while longer.
some lonely old feeblefester buys forty pounds of the stuff because he thinks he’s immortal and I can’t get it any more.
Let's see, I'm 45, have three kids, a wife, two cats and a dog, so not old or lonely. I buy in lots of 10-30 tins, or 5-20 lbs of bulk as in the past thirty years I've seen many favorite blends discontinued. McClelland ring a bell?
Cui bono?
I do of course. My cellar runneth over and I no longer have to contend with rising tobacco costs, new taxes, or legislation that may eventually tell me I can no longer order it online.
It's too hard to compete with hoarders who have good connections and bottomless wallets.
You need neither. I work 12/7 in a very hot environment, am anything but rich, and have over 300 pounds of tobacco that I wanted. Save up for what you want and call those tobacco shops at the top of the page. You'll find what you're looking for.
There were 97 tins available at Smoking Pipes a minute ago when I checked.
There were 107 earlier today. :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I'd blame not being able to tell tongue in cheek humor unless someone inserts an emoji.

Bloody hell, some of you boys take stuff pretty darned seriously.
Lack of vocal inflection is a communication problem with text discussions. Not to mention in recent months we've had a few members throwing tantrums about lack of availability being the work of unscrupulous hoarders. Oh, and emojis do help with us lonely old guys' comprehension. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.