PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have never reviewed a blend before, because I considered it to be a subjective matter. But I have discovered this recently and I had to write a few lines. I am not sure whether this is a review or not, I guess it's more of a sharing a personal opinion and hoping to start a conversation here, based on various peoples experience.
I got this truly by mistake, I actually wanted something else but I compromised as the supplier was out of stock and I had to raise the package to a certain value. It was quite an expensive little bugger, but the reviews on tobaccoreveiw.com were pretty good, so I was like whatever let's try something new. As an almost exclusively English blend smoker, I am trying to broaden my horizons since of late I hate some revelations with virginias. So here goes:
I opened the tin, to find a turd looking lot of tobacco. Unlike the stuff that my dog lets out, this one smelled encouraging. It kind of smelled like Dunhill Royal Yacht - a blend I absolutely love, so I was excited. I got home, and cut the rope to size, rubbed it a tad and put it straight into my pipe, left no time for drying. Fellows ... let me tell you I had to hold my breeches because I was in for a heck of a ride. First off, it is very strong - nic hit so big that I got hick ups 1/4 through the bowl. The strength was like a smack over my head. The pipe I used was a Czech church warden, no filter, just a short stinger. Flavor otherwise, overwhelming. A tad sweet, a bit of reminder of fired Kentucky, but mostly sweet and some sort of fruit bouquet that I cannot put my finger on. Above all VERY rich flavor, I mean just a small sip and I felt like I had a mouth full of something very tasty. For my second smoke, I switched to filter, and a smaller sized bowl. The same impression, the filter hardly alters the taste (I have used the plain carbon Peterson filters), the only difference being that my stomach wasn't as upset (for some reason some virginias and most perique or burley heavy blends do not sit well with my IBS and my sensitive stomach). The second time around, the tobacco had a chance to dry a bit, which was better when it came to relights. It still needed fire quite frequently, but not as much as the first smoke. Yes, this ones eats up matches - which is not necessarily a bad thing. I have realized I cannot smoke a bowl of this from start to finish, the fact that it goes out every so often is actually a welcome break. I read some reviews that if it dries out too much it can have a bitter taste throughout the second half of the bowl. I did not find this to be true.
I must experiment some more, but next time most definitely after a rich dinner. Any thoughts on this blend? Recommendations?

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
or some reason some virginias and most perique or burley heavy blends do not sit well with my IBS and my sensitive stomach
If virginias, perique, and burley are out, there don't seem to be many safe blends.
I gotta say, I used to think I was pretty dedicated to tobacco.
But between this and the guy who continues smoking pipes after giving himself third degree burns on his tongue and bad breath, and after being warned that continuing to smoke would put him at a high risk of developing inoperable, precancerous, pussy lesions, I'm starting to think I don't know what it means to love tobacco.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Well they are not out per say ... some blends just create discomfort. For example Dunhill Elisabethan Mix upsets my stomach unless I smoke it filtered, while cabbie's mixture has no effect in spite of being a vaper as well. Burley heavy blends only also may not sit well with me ...

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Edit: i tried something .. sort of outlandish. I cut a thin coin rubbed it and mixed it with some EMP. I somehow feel i have done a sacrilege by messing with the emp flavor, but the result is very agreable. The deep flavor of brown no 4 is there, sort of embraces the early morning flavor. I can handle it much better. Not sure if this is the way to go with this tobacco ... i think it has a lot to offer, but for me it is simply too much to handle all at once.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Great review, always wanted to try a bowl or two of this tobacco. If you have a little to spare let me know!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It kind of smelled like Dunhill Royal Yacht - a blend I absolutely love, so I was excited.
Similar Virginias, I will bet. TR lists "Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Virginia" and that seems about right to me, although I taste the Virginias first and then the Burley broadens the flavor and the Cigar Leaf makes it smoother, in addition to adding that indefinable spice flavor that cigar leaves tend to have. As a fellow Royal Yacht devotee, I have switched to this blend because it is not as tangy or stinky as the fully smoked leaf blends, has te power behind it, and like the 'Yacht, has a depth of flavor that emerges through nuance as the bowl continues. This is one of those tobaccos I just must hoard. Great review. Keep at it!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I liked your review. They can range from 1 or 2 sentences, informal, to systematic, like Jim Inks.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Thanks to the kindness of MADOX07 he sent me a sample from Romania to try.

Came quicker than local post here in the UK.

The rope was a lose bundle of tobacco, supriced that it had big pieces of leaf, like an expensive cigar.

It took a lot to keep it burning, plenty of smoke.

Taste was dark and rich and some sweetness in it. I did not find it overpowering on the nicotine side, but I have a big tolerance to nicotine. It’s always an individual thing - nicotine!

Very kind of MADOX07 but that’s what this hobby and the Forum is like.

Would I buy this or have it in my rotation? Probably not.

But I have never tried rope tobacco before and have read a lot about it. One for the “Bucket list”

I am overwhelmed but his kindness.

Status
Not open for further replies.