PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I am not sure if this has been discussed in depth before but this March I picked up 2 100g tins of Solani 633 Flake. It is a VaPer and was one that Harris had recommended to me. As I was reading some reviews yesterday on this baccy I noticed someone commented that the 100 g tins weren't vacuum sealed. I think I have pretty decent attention to detail but I sure missed this. I popped them yesterday and noticed that they were wrapped in cellophane and sealed pretty well. When I opened the cellophane I stuck my nose in there and was greeted with a wonderful aroma of figs and raisins with a slight hint of pepper. Luckily the tobacco wasn't dried out. In fact it was at the perfect humidity level that I like to smoke it. I jarred this stuff up and will be enjoying a bowl of it after the USA vs Germany World Cup game today.
I just wanted to pass this on to anyone that may have thought the tins were vacuum sealed and put them in the back of the cellar to age and forgot about them.
USA USA USA

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
This Public Service Announcement has been brought to you by Ball Mason Jars, the tobacco hoarders best friend!!! Good call on the post, had the same issue on the Solani Silver Flake in the 100 gram tin. Tins look cool but not good for long term storage.
GO USA! USA! USA!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
That's right Andrew, 3 of the 8 oz jars took care of 200g. With the score 0-1 it looks like it will be a sympathy smoke if Ghana wins

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Completely forgot that I have been waiting on a backordered shipment of 633 for months now. I wish I could inspect mine too. :(

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I would just say jar it the day you get it metarzan. Lord know how long it has been sitting in a warehouse. I hope when you receive it is full of life. Like I said mine is at the perfect smoking humidity level but wonder if I am missing out on any true aging even though it is jarred up.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I just finished a bowl and it performed well. Not as peppery as I was hoping for but good nonetheless.

Jun 25, 2014
The price difference between 633 50 gm and 100 gm tins doesn't justify jarring it the larger tin (to me). I stick to 50 gms. It cellars very well, but don't expect it to get any more "peppery".

Status
Not open for further replies.