PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
This from Cigar Aficionado;
https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/beverly-hills-may-ban-sales-of-all-tobacco-products?utm_campaign=ca_alertbeverlyhills_021419&utm_source=ca_alertbeverlyhills_021419&utm_medium=email
...just a matter of time

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The Nanny knows better than you what matters. What this probably means is that tax revenues have fallen low enough that greedy politicians need a revenue replacement.
Because of this.....smoking has to go.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Gee...there's that word ban being openly used and proposed again. Imagine that.
What this probably means is that tax revenues have fallen low enough that greedy politicians need a revenue replacement.
Yeah, like heavy fines for illegal sales, distribution, possession or use of tobacco.
Tobacco is really too innocuous a word though...like hemp. They'll have to come up with something more illegal sounding. Baccyjuana?

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Since they are considering banning some things that they consider to be dangerous, they might as well consider banning all powered vehicles. I imagine powered vehicles cause more health related issues than cigars and pipes.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
they might as well consider banning all powered vehicles.
If you live at least a couple more decades there's a good chance you'll see that in your lifetime.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Well, according to the National Safety council, you're now more likely to die of an opioid overdose than in a car wreck, so maybe they'll realize that banning things doesn't stop people from using them...
Back to the subject at hand, I'm not terribly surprised by this. What are the odds it actually passes?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I always feel a bit concerned when I hear about some crazy new proposed law in New York or California because new legislation often arises first in those states and later spreads to others.
My grandfather used to call it "The Land of Fruits and Nuts".
Very nice! I will try to remember that one. In the legal industry, the Ninth Circuit (where CA is) is often called "the Ninth Circus."

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
...just a matter of time
I don't believe there is any question it is just a matter of time. I was traveling to Lexington often when the smoking ban was being proposed there. Everyone was thinking "How can a smoking ban ever be passed in the heart of tobacco country?". Within a year, smoking ban is in effect in Lexington, KY. That was July 1, 2003. So in less than 16 years, there are smoking bans (to some degree or another) enacted in the majority of the USA. With the momentum shifted way over to the side of the anti smoking nazis, the matter of time you speak of is likely well less than 16 years.
My cellar just surpassed the 250 lb mark. By the end of the calendar year, I expect to be well over 300. If we're still able to purchase pipe tobacco from internet stores, at a reasonable price, 20 years from now, I'll be ecstatic about that. To me, that would be indicative that something happened that halted the highway robbery of our basic freedoms. It's been my experience, however, that one is best served hoping for the best but planning for the worst. While I'm not one of those survivalist Armageddon types in the least, having some gold coins, firearms and a robust supply of ammo stored with your tobacco would possibly be considered wise as well.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
There's a smoking ban in Lexington, KY? I live here, and my house is next to the constable's office, and I literally wave hello to the constable while I'm walking around smoking my pipe every single day.
Not suggesting a ban didn't go on the books, but it's definitely not enforced.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The very time I smoked a pipe was on 9-13-11 in Lexington KY. I smoked in the smoke shop in the hotel that's attached to the basketball arena. The night before we enjoyed cigars on the patio of the Hilton across from the hotel I stayed at.
I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I didn't see any evidence either. I did wish there was a ban by the end of the week because I shredded my tongue. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.