PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Here's a ridiculous question: What's the best way to open a (sealed) tin? Whatever it is, I have a sneaking suspicion that I've been doing it wrong for years. I've almost always bought in bulk.

Flat-head screwdriver? Feel free to make fun of me.

You are doing it wrong. Take your tin out to the garage with your wife or a friend. Put your motorcycle up on the center stand. Start the bike and ask them to rev it while its in gear. Take the can and hold the side of the top side edge against the motorcycle wheel until the friction spins it off.

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
Wow, this is still going? Great because I was too ashamed to ask how the hell you get those things open without...cheating. At least that's what it feels like when you pop the vacuum seal and open it with relative ease. I always quietly fear that greater, mightier men open it with nothing but their bare hands.

As for what I use, surprisingly it's a fish knife, and I'm not a guy who usually has interesting or sophisticated answers. For whatever reason ever since I've lived on my own, I've kept a short brass fish knife nearby for the odd times it comes in handy; it was my snuff 'spoon' back when I dabbled in nasal snuff and it's really proved its worth over the—earning its place on my desk.

It's flat, thin but not to the point of being flimsy or weak, it's pointy enough to open letters or break masking tape on packaging but it's also not sharp so you can afford to be more reckless as you try to pry things open. Never used it for its primary function, come to think of it, but it's a fine little jack of all tools.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
As a newbie, I actually had to look up online how to open a tobacco tin since it didn't have any instructions on it (some do). I didn't have much luck using a quarter, but managed to pop the lid using the tip of a butter knife. I have since discovered that our set of stainless steel measuring spoons have handles about about as thick as a penny, a rounded end, and a slight bend side to side that fits the curvature of a tobacco tin perfectly. It's very easy to slide the handle of one of those measuring spoons inside the lip of the lid and pop it open with little effort.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Here are some options, that I haven't taken yet:

Talking to the tin, until it is comfortable enough to open up.
Throw the tin on concrete, until it gives up.
I have also considered using my wedding ring, silverware from the good set, and possibly some of my wife's quilting tools.

Reactions: hawky454 and Bengel

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Obviously, the proper way to open a tin of tobac vis to send it to me. I will open it for you and send it back right away. Via German DHL..for expedited shipping!

Reactions: hawky454