PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Hmmm, which one do I use to get this tin open?....hmmmm...the Smith & Wesson technique!
img_0204-150x112.jpg

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
P.S. I just realized I started this thread in the wrong place -- meant to put it in Basics and Beginner Questions. My humblest apologies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pipe tool, anyone?
Czech tool, yes, but the four pipe tools I have aren't so good for that. Unopened, too broad. Knife/scraper, too thin. Punch, no good at all. It wiill do in a pinch, though, jimmying around with the blade.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I got so handy at opening tins with the spoon-scoop that I just kept opening them. The blends that are riddled with birdshot have been relegated to a cheap tupperware and will be used solely for deworming animals, or traded for water after society's collapse.

Now how do you open a mason jar?

tins-600x600.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: hawky454

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
How to open a tin? Seriously! Hand granade, if that don't work, stick of dinomite. Still can't get in there? Let your dog roll it around an chew on it for a day or so

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
warren got to the heart of the matter in his first post on this thread. The whole trigger is breaking the seal on the tin. This is done by slipping a coin, screwdriver, or a very sturdy fingernail into the little spot provided at the edge of the lid and lifting. A pssst release of the vacuum will follow, and then the lid screws off with ease. You can use a jackhammer, Bobcat tractor, or five hundred pound bomb, but usually the tin and tobacco are lost in this over-engineering. Stick to the quarter or screwdriver and listen for the pssst. So warren gave the answer, and I decided to blabber on about it some more.