PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I think that my flake tobaccos are too moist. They seem to be quite moist to the touch, and are very difficult to do the fold and stuff method with-they break apart too easily. I didn't have this issue last week when my flakes arrived in the mail, since then I've transferred them to glass jars, and put a humidifying button in each jar.
So what is the proper moisture level for flake tobacco?
Cheers,
Craig

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like all my tobaccos on the dry side -- even if I tend not to store them that way.

I don't mind if a flake breaks when I'm folding it. What's important is easy lighting and dry puffing.

I think you have to do a trial and error for each different brand until you settle on some generalities

that work best for your individual style.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
It is totally subjective. But fact is the wetter the hotter and harder to light(that's really hard to say aloud).

Though many DO prefer more moisture, it just means more careful puffing.
But I say DRY DRY DRY... flakes are hard enough for me to keep lit when dry, I can't imagine ever being able to once stored with any humidifying agent.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
As a n00b, who's trying new baccys left and right, I'm starting to see the merits of drying time as well. You don't want it cigarette dry, but definitely drier than when fresh from the tin. Some count more than others. Black House was rock and roll right from the tin but 7 seas and Squadron Leader need some alone time. Even my pouch of Baron's WTF mixture has benefitted from a week in the pouch, unmolested.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
I've been smoking Frog Morton on the Town for some time now but haven't really considered it great or anything, so I just thought that I should probably dry it out a bit and see how it is. Well, 24 hrs later and I'm smoking this blend like it's going the way of Balkan Sobranie! I love it, and can taste the latakia in it much better. Before, it was just like a smokey jolly rancher. But now, it's a pretty good mild english.
I definitely agree with baron, drying time seems to be an under developed skill among newbs. One that I need to hone desperately.
And Uncle, isn't the correct phraseology: "dry as a popcorn fart"? :rofl:

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
hanks for the replies Gents. definitely too wet, I left my jars open when i retired for the night, I'll leave them open until tomorrow and then see how they are coming along.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Ugh, don't do that. Just dry what you need (you could pack a pipe, then use your pipe tool to remove the tobacco and dry it).

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Eh, right, we are talking about flakes here. :oops:
Just dry one or two flakes, not the whole jar.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
In a case like this, where your flakes are way too moist, it's best to dry the whole batch before returning it to the jar. One thing to remember is that it's a lot easier to dry tobacco than it is to rehumidify it, so do this gradually. Flakes should feel fairly dry to the touch and rather stiff (not brittle though).
A technique that works well is to put the tobacco in a large zip-lock bag. Leave the bag unzipped laying on it's side for a few hours. When it's almost as dry as you want it, seal the bag and let it sit overnight. Hard pressed flakes can retain moisture internally even when the outside has dried quite a bit. By letting it sit overnight you're giving the moisture level a chance to stabilize. If it's still too moist, repeat as necessary.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Thanks for all of the kind replies Gentlemen. I suspected that all of my tobacco was getting too moist, not just the flakes. I had been wondering about how to do the Pinch Test with my non-flake tobaccos, and I found a good video on You Tube demonstrating the technique last night. Sure enough; too wet. I left everything open overnight and it all dried out nicely. Not too dry, just perfect. I'm not putting anymore of those humidifying buttons in my jars, unless things dry out too much. I'm smoking Balkan Sasieni right now, and I'm enjoying it more than I have since I bought the tin weeks ago.
Cheers,
Craig

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm too impulsive to plan my smokes ahead of time; and too impatient to air dry something. I keep pushing this Ranger Heat-It Craft Tool.

It's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Hot air, fast, but gentle blower speed so tobacco doesn't go flying all over the place.

I just dry-out what I need, to perfection, and let the rest remain as purchased -- just so I can customize each smoke.

HeatItTool.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.