PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Though nice to see a better stem on a Missouri Meerschaum, mine seems a bit rushed. The tenon is heavily scored with an awkward sideways flare, and the mortise is a bit chewed up. This is the Charles Towne Cobbler model. Anyone else have any issues?
img_20180117_120955-600x594.jpg

img_20180117_120929-469x600.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This looks a little makeshift. My guess would be, as this series continues, the fit and finish will improve. MM has an earned reputation for good work. The MM collaboration with Dagner on their little poker nose warmer with an acrylic stem is nicely done.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Could be. I got one of their Wizards when they first came out, and the stem didn't fit. Newer iterations do.

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
I bought the recent c&d Carolina gent. The first thing I noticed when I got it and tried to remove the stem to check it out before I smoked it was, I couldn't remove the stem! I had to take pliars to it to remove the stem. Got it in the freezer to see if I can loosen it.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
My latest cob, a Dagner poker, has a loose fitting stem. Not horrible, but it slides easily. Could MM be trying to add friction to the stem with that coarseness on the tenon?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Not according to this reply I got from MM.
The problem occurred on a Friday when an employee grabbed a box of reject stems rather than the box of good stems, it affected a few folks; luckily we noticed the problem in house the following Monday and have since been able to reach out to most of those affected. We're so sorry about the inconvenience to you. Dan Nemets

Jun 27, 2016
Hey Duane, are these MM pipes in general supposed to have the shank sticking into and mostly across the bottom of the chamber? I just picked one up and it is like that. :puffpipe:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yep, I had the same issue. I cleaned the splintered wood out with a pipe cleaner. My stem looks exactly like yours. Fits well, but looks like not much care was given to the tenon, with the side ways flare.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I have a MM bent rob roy ...got it for christmas. I am a newbie but it seems to be a nice pipe to me
The Rob Roy's are some of MM's older classics, and I have no doubt that it's an amazing pipe. The one pictured above is a newer venture for MM featuring acrylic stems.

Jul 12, 2011
I have had issues with my tenon cutter and trying to match a pre-made lucite to the standard MM shank. Now at least on my tenon cutter ( standard one used by pipe makers ) it seems very difficult to dial-in the setting you need to cut the tenon for the MM standard shank as it is such a minimal amount of material that you need to take off otherwise you have a tenon that just falls out of the shank , ugh - So what I have done and found works best is to just use some sandpaper if you are trying to put a pre-made into that standard MM shank. It lets you take off just a small amount of material and get a nice/tight fit plus you still have a good looking tenon finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.