PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I just got off the phone with P&C customer service. I was informed that Prince Albert was being discontinued, and that was why they've been out of the 1.5 oz. pouches for a while. Sad day for me, but at least I have a 2 or 3 pounds stashed away. Hard to see another icon go by the wayside.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
IJnxZ3w.gif

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Anyone else heard this? Announcements, news releases, etc.? PC is a highly creditable source, if the staffer had the story straight. PA is a blend that would have definitely outlived the deeming regulations. It seems like they'd have done well to keep it alive to see if it found a new consumer base in the face of that. Any further authoritative report or information would be useful here. I'm not a PA smoker. There are other mild blends, when I want mild, that I like better, but this would be a shocker if true.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Could be true. I hope we get the story. If the old codger blends fade, we may be left with corn silk and yard mulch.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
All these blends going out of production is such a bummer! I'm confident that the anti-tobacco fanaticism will eventually run its course and simmer down, but it seems that the zealots might kill off the pipe tobacco industry in the meantime with their regulatory and tax schemes that are making pipe tobacco a cost-ineffective business.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
it seems that the zealots might kill off the pipe tobacco industry in the meantime with their regulatory and tax schemes that are making pipe tobacco a cost-ineffective business.
As crazy as it might be to speculate, this could be their ultimate goal.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Wow ... I think it's the third major new like this for the year, after McClelland and Dunhill that is..

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
As crazy as it might be to speculate, this could be their ultimate goal.
I don't think that's crazy at all. In fact, I agree with you. The anti-smokers have gained a lot of ground, but they know that Americans (at least many of us) are still a freedom-loving people and would oppose any effort to ban tobacco use outright. Instead, they just regulate it slowly out of existence. Big tobacco obviously still has a lot of pull, and the recent/new FDA regulations reflect that, though the crackdown has been coming in increments for a long time and the entire tobacco industry will suffer.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This is sad and a bad sign...and a bit surprising. It's just the opposite of what most have been speculating. There seems to have been a general assumption that these old OTC/Codger blends would be the last to go away if they ever went at all.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
23 left at SP's...here we go again.
I am going to end up breaking new pipes in with Esoterica at some point.

We are doing a lot of speculating. PA is a Middleton product. Are any of their orher products leaving the market? Has Prince Albert been profitable? How does it stand against their other blends?

As I did a search for more info on PA, I did notice that ALL other talk online about this, only stems from this one thread. Maybe it will take some time for the facts to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.