Prince Albert, in a Cob, with a filter... how did I get here?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
If for no other reason than sharing my story I thought I would document the fact that I am sitting here with a pouch of PA in a cob with a filter. After years of Va flakes and VaPers and English blends I have recently been moving into the world of Burleys. I never understood them before- believe it or not. And so I began with Orlik Dark Strong, tried HH Old Dark Fired, got a tin of Solani Aged Burley Flake, and then stumbled across PS Cube Cut at a B&M. While I enjoyed the "higher end" Burleys, there was something about the PS Cube Cut that converted me to Burleys in a new and different way. Strange, perhaps, but when I discovered that PS CC was in the hereditary line of classic American burleys, my experience made sense.
And so, for the past several months I have been on a quest to sample all the classic Burley blends I can find. And many days I have lamented the fact that Edgeworth is no longer in production. Carter Hall tastes great. Prince Albert is wonderful. MacBaren's Golden Extra is superb. The Sutliffe match to Edgeworth tastes fine to me, as does their Sugar Barrel Match. I also like LL BLWB. Simply put, I love these blends! It doesn't take away from my love for Va Flakes, but wow, BURLEY... America... 1950s!
Now, here's where the filters come in. I have never struggled with tongue bite. Not even with Va No. 1, which I smoke a bunch 10 years ago. But suddenly, with Burleys, my luck has changed. I suppose they mess with my Chemistry, as Russ O has commented Burleys are (more) prone to do (even than Vas). Thus I have now begun a new quest... that of the best filters through which to enjoy Burleys.
THAT, my friends, is how I find myself smoking PA, in a Cob, with a Grabow filter.
And it's delicious.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I occasionally enjoy PS Cube Cut a nice change of pace and have some Carter Hall and Prince Albert that has been put away for a couple of years but have never tried yet 8O

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
If for no other reason than sharing my story ...

Funny the journey this hobby takes us. Sometimes nothing can beat a cob of Prince Albert and a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee.
Now try Carter Hall in a cob. :wink:

Sometimes ... even better. :mrgreen:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Find a tub of Lane Limited Ready Rubbed, pack yer cob full and enjoy! Pipe smoking is all about your personal enjoyment...if PA in a filtered cob does the trick, then so be it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I concur with you on the enjoyment of simple, nutty nicotine burley tobacco.

I found that each new burley seemed to require a learning period before I could appreciate their nuances, but that could have been my own inexperience with the practice.

At first, I smoked SWR, (for a burley) and really enjoyed it.

I then tried PA, and it took me about a 1/2 tub to 'get it'.

The same with others...including CH, and even 1/2 & 1/2 (the most topped and bitey of the bunch of codgers I've tried, yet, still enjoyable after 'training'.)

A simple, sweet burley worth a shot is PS 702. I would buy that again before I'd buy PA.

numbernine

Lurker
Dec 26, 2016
Yesterday i bought a MM cob a pouch of CH and PA with a pack of filters ,went home fired it up and had a good time. No tongue bite and if you smoke it reeeeaaaalllllyyyyyyyy sssssllllooooowwwww it tastes like something. I think it will be a learning curve, new cob,burley and sweet Va smoked slowly.
I have some apple pie left from my last batch ,today i'll introduce them to each other, who knows whats next.
Sixten

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There's something about burleys in a cob, especially in the summertime. Lane RR is my fave, with MacB Golden Extra another winner. Like the OP, they are a nice addition to my lat blends and Virginias.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I used to get an Edgeworth Ready Rubbed match from P&C that had a hint of molasses, and was a cube cut. My journey has led me far away from those simpler smokes, but sometimes I would like to go back there.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
You want to try some old school burley, give C&D's Pegasus a try. Don't forget the aromatics in a cob. The Lane Limited Big Three like 1Q, RLP-6 and BCA are delicious in a cob.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I love Prince Albert, and I love it in cobs. If you absolutely must use a filter in a cob, I recommend Savinelli 6mm balsa filters. The Dr. Grabow/Medico paper filters are guaranteed to ruin any tobacco for me.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
A couple of years ago I went on a quest to go after as much of the Old Codger blends that I could. My favorite turned out to be Walnut and I managed to squirrel away several tubs. Since your an English smoker try some Chestnut from H&H or Uhle's 71 you may be surpised with the "American" English blends.
Additional C&D, particularly the Runowski blends, does a great job making modern Codger blends.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I have some Old Joe Krantz as well but it's taking me some time to get into it and I'm not there yet. Plan to keep trying. And might add some PA or CH to it for some sweetness.
Thanks for the Recs. Have some Sav 6mm balsam filters, Wessex Burley, and HH Burley Kake in the mail. Still need to order some Haunted Bookshop. Hoping, like everyone else it seems, that LL will make a pouch or bulk version of their ERR Match so that I don't have to gamble on a full tin of it... though I'm sure I'll love it.
Checking EBay every day for unopened tins of ERR or Edgeworth Slices. If anyone has leads on either of those, I would be grateful. I know I'm not the only one on the hunt for that and I'm not a very good/competitive Ebayer, but I do hope to taste that at some point. I am thinking, if I get the chance, of spending the $40-60 it usually goes for online, just for the experience.
Enjoying this forum. Thanks everyone.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If you like PA and CH, the Lane Limited Ready-Rubbed in the 14 oz. tin isn't much of a gamble at all. It's a good codger burley.

Status
Not open for further replies.