PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2014
Had my first try of Presbyterian today... Oh by, did I just make a friend, what a great multi-layered smoke.

Mar 1, 2014
It's my favorite English blend that's not also aromatic or a VaPer (Frog Morton's Cellar or Mississippi River).

The smoke seems to be on the gentle side, which I appreciate.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Can it really be considered an English blend without Latakia? From what I understand there are orientals but no latakia. It has been a decade since I have had any and it is on my list to eventually get again.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Maybe it does. I cant remember where I read and heard it did not contain Latakia. I remember I enjoyed it back when I had it around 2005. I have been looking forward to getting hold of some again and eventually will.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Just had two bowls back to back watching Foyle's War last night. It always listed latakia leaf tips as an ingredient, and I've founf latakia in it, but it never comes through on the palette. I love Presbyterian, it's right up there with my beloved McConnell Oriental and Red Rapparee. It's a smooth, sophisticated blend, great during quiet moments. What always catches me off guard is the nose when opening the tin. It smells like blueberries to me (though of course there is no berry flavoring to it), more so than even some berry mixtures I have smelled. There are only five blends I cellar in depth, and Presbyterian is one.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
One of my top 3 blends sublime stuff, if you get an aged tin of 5 years or so even better still.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Yes, it was love at first puff for me too, another blend that I reach for when feeling like something in that kind of range is pease's westminster.
Isaac

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
tarheel1, though most English blends these days have latakia, my understanding is that the original meaning of the term "English" paid homage to the fact flavor additives were not allowed in tobacco in England for a time. If that's true than the root of the category is anything that isn't aromatic. Of course, that's a very wide range that would include things never thought of to be English by today's standards (VA, burley, etc.). Just a thought.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
tarheel1, though most English blends these days have latakia, my understanding is that the original meaning of the term "English" paid homage to the fact flavor additives were not allowed in tobacco in England for a time. If that's true than the root of the category is anything that isn't aromatic. Of course, that's a very wide range that would include things never thought of to be English by today's standards (VA, burley, etc.). Just a thought.
English blends do not have to contain latakia, latakia blends contain latakia. To further complicate it the original aromatics were blends that used orientals.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
English blends do not have to contain latakia, latakia blends contain latakia. To further complicate it the original aromatics were blends that used orientals.

Status
Not open for further replies.