Status
Not open for further replies.

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
And it is back in stock for good!
From the official release:
“Originally crafted before the first World War for the Very Rev. Dr. John White — sometime minister of the Barony Kirk in Glasgow and Moderator of the General Assembly in Scotland in 1929 — this light-on-the-Latakia mixture earned its call to fame when it was introduced to Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin, who enjoyed the blend so much that he coined its name and ordered regular shipments sent down to him straight from the manufacturer.
Presbyterian Mixture has maintained that legendary status for generations now, with pipe enthusiasts around the world stocking up on this singular blend whenever it became available. Thanks to a new distribution arrangement, we expect pipe smokers shouldn't have to go without (or at least have to endure crazy dry spells). Starting today. Right now. And so it is with great pleasure that we announce that this elegant mixture of Virginias, Orientals, and Latakia is back in stock at Smokingpipes, where it will continue to be readily available for years to come.”

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
Glad I have an understanding wife. Told her I was ordering a new pipe and a 'little' tobacco. Then saw that it was back in stock and 'a little tobacco' became a bit more than that.

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
Thinking about ordering some having never tried it before... debating between 2 and 5 tins. I've heard that this comes wrapped in plastic in the tin, and wondered if I should be jarring it for longer term storage or if it will be ok in the tin for a few years?

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
I recommend the blend. I was down to my last 3 tins, so I stocked up today. I don't believe that there are supposed to be distribution issues in the future. Although, this 1st wave is expected to sell out based on heavy early demand.
As for storage, I keep mine stored in the tins until opened. I haven't had any issues with the tins (mine aren't in plastic), and I only jar after opening.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
So reading the reviews, and smoking a few different Englishes recently, I'd like to ask if this one truly rises above other lat/or/va blends?
I notice the extremes of Gaslight to PS English Oriental Supreme (full char to sweet/light and refreshing) so where would this fall in line?

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I cannot wait to try this famous and storied blend. I have never even seen a tin, so ordering a few was a no brainer.
BTW 4Noggings also have stock if hey are your preferred supplier

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
I've always enjoyed Presbyterian, although it's a little on the mild side to slake my cravings at times.
Definitely interested in hearing the reviews. like Rattray's Red Rapparee and Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, there's been much debate as to whether Presbyterian contained Latakia or not. I'm glad the blender has clarified this in the description. Some of the earlier reviewers attributed the faint Latakia taste to the Orientals and some even to Stoved Virginias. To my palate, there has always been Latakia in Presbyterian, albeit in trace amounts.
Thanks to the enablers here (God bless ya'), I guess I'll have to try a tin or three. :D

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mine just arrived, and I'm already smoking a bowl. Very Oriental forward, and strangely very similar to Balkan Sasieni.
20180427_1501351.jpg

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Strange. I'd never have compared Presbyterian to Balkan Sasieni. Two different blends, imo.
Of course my Presbyterian tins are from 2002 or so.
Got a tin or so headed my way. Anxious to see the difference.

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Jarred 2 Tins...a little dry for me..A few drops and will have a smoke tomorrow. Also jarred 2 Tins of Quiet Nights. Going to be busy tomorrow.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Yes, it does come fairly dry. I never thought of rehydrating it but might just for an experiment. Let us know what it's like, and how it compares to dry.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've heard that this comes wrapped in plastic in the tin, and wondered if I should be jarring it for longer term storage or if it will be ok in the tin for a few years?
Just receive a reply from SPC. Though the tobacco is wrapped in plastic, the tins are indeed vacuum sealed.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Mine are in plastic that just arrived the other day. Close to perfect on the moisture. Lit up and burned well. Little light in the strength dept for me but I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.