PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Sorry if this has been addressed before but my search didn't produce the results I'd hoped...
So... the first smoke of the morning is invariably the finest for me. By that I mean the flavor of the tobacco seems to come through "uninterrupted" - I imagine this is due to the fact that any flavors from foods, etc. have dissipated allowing the tobacco flavor to be predominant. My preference is to get the char light complete, pour a cup of coffee, take a sip and then relight and sit back and enjoy.
Typically, be the time I've finished the bowl and a couple of mugs of coffee my wife is awake. Being the consummate gentleman I am 8) I immediately rinse my mouth with Listerine (the original flavor, of course) and brush my teeth prior to planting a big juicy morning kiss on the most wonderful lady to have ever graced planet earth.
Afterward, I'll have a light breakfast and brush again prior to going about the business of the day.
Now, here's my dilemma: occasionally I get the desire to smoke another bowl an hour or two later BUT the flavors from breakfast/Listerine/toothpaste totally interfere with the great tobacco flavor for which I yearn.
Does anyone have suggestions as to how one might cleanse the palate to prepare it for a fresh bowl?
I've tried drinking tea, eating a bland cracker or a few peanuts, etc. but nothing seems to renew the palate to accept the magnificent flavors of the tobacco but nothing seems to work. I do find, however, that by early evening - prior to eating dinner - the palate is again ready to perform that which the gods intended: to taste pipe tobacco!
Just in case anyone is wondering what I do if my wife happens to awake prior to my morning smoke... she must wait to receive the morning kiss. I do have priorities ya know! :puffy:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
My sentiments exactly on the morning smoke Tim. I like certain beverages as well while smoking. Fresh squeezed orange juice seems to be a perfect palate cleaner for me. Later in the morning a sipicy whole leaf Chai tea with wáter only, no sweeteners or milk, does a great job of accompanying the tobacco without interfering in the taste. On hotter afternoons I've been known to drink a half liter of ice cold carrot juice with my pipe and I always look forward to it. As a matter of fact, this afternoon I'll probably get my pipe and carrot juice routine in!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You might try a different mouth wash, like a baking soda solution or hydrogen peroxide. Or for a different pH environment, maybe a dilute vinegar solution (perhaps sweetened with a little sugar for palatability.) Same goes for switching your brand of toothpaste.

To me, tobaccos always taste better on a clear palate -- that is, after a few hours of abstinence from food. Sometimes tobacco tastes

really good after a meal, but that's usually a Burley forward blend; and I don't smoke Burleys too often anymore.
Throughout the day I usually have a cup of coffee in hand, and I wonder now if this has shaped my preferences for certain blends.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Throughout the day I usually have a cup of coffee in hand, and I wonder now if this has shaped my preferences for certain blends.
@Cortez
Interesting observation, but then again the coffee isn't about to go anywhere soon: Happy puffing! :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Oh my! If I had to choose between coffee or the pipe... ! 8O
Here's a search string for you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/%20palate%20cleansing

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've made these suggestions, but for clearing the palate, I like a rotation of blends and leaf that

provides variety. Straight up burley or Virginia now and then, and some refined aros to set up

for English blends, so it isn't all Latakia or Perique, or whatever. Those piquant flavors come up

better for me if I don't repeat them endlessly. Also, a break of a day or three improves the

experience for me. I know many don't like this, and I sometimes avoid the day off, but when I just

don't have time, the bonus is a better bowl the next day, or when I can again pack a bowl.

pipedreamer

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2012
All the purist I've known simply brush the teeth and tongue with baking soda. The rest light up a different pipe with preferred beverage.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Tim, I was going thru very similar issues and tastes with respect to how my pipe tastes to me. I too used mouthwash after brushing my teeth. I quit the mouthwash, and the toothpaste, and instead put some baking soda in my palm and moisten the bristles of my toothbrush and stir it up in the baking soda like a thick paste. (Btw I use an electric tb) This baking soda paste is what I use to brush my teeth AND tongue. I also finish by gargling a shot glass full of half water half hydrogen peroxide. After doing all this my mouth feels VERY clean. My smoking continues as good as the first bowl of the morning unless I eat or drink something to mess with that. If I need "minty" breath I will chew a piece of sugarless gum, but I don't do this if I think I'm going to be smoking in the next few hours. Anyway it's been working well for me, and actually is cheaper than having to buy toothpaste and mouthwash ;)
Cheers!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Not knocking anyone who inhales but IMO they are missing the point. I agree whole heartedly that the first bowl of the day is far and away the best. Since I have the luxury of smoking more than one bowl per day so I've learned to keep the flavor party going. Understand that I smoke English blends primarily and what I've learned is that in order to keep from having bowls #2,3 or 4 from going flat is to always choose a bolder, more full bodied selection. In other words, don't start your day with a big bowl of Nightcsp and then 2 hours later load up on EMP. I would say that the logic would also apply if your smoking VA or VaPers. Again, I know some on here do inhale but for general purposes, ingesting pipe smoke into the lungs on every puff is going to kill the flavor of whatever your smoking. Good smoking!

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
I tried this method tonight after dinner prior to smoking and it seems to really make a difference--brushing with backing soda and rinsing with peroxide and water

Status
Not open for further replies.