PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
As I type this message I have some St James flake drying to be smoked in another 1/2 hour or so. I cube cut it first then let it dry some. SG flakes are one of the few that I feel need some drying. They come very wet as compared to almost all of my other flakes. I don't cube cut a whole tin as that can dry it too quickly and I don't like my flakes too dry. In my experienced a bit of moisture makes for a tastier flake.
Danish flakes such as F&T Cut Virginia Plug and Capstan Blue Flake come perfect humidity and I smoke them right out of the tin with no drying. Also thinner more pliable flakes such as those I will either fold and stuff or cube cut. When I cube cut that type of flake I use a much larger cube than I do with an SG flake. The SG flakes are usually much more dense which makes a smaller cube burn better for me.

Jul 12, 2011
I have some SG Bracken Flake, which is one of my favs - been aging a stack of tins now for almost 5+ years, all this talk of SG flake has me walking by the tins and thinking about pop'in one open. I loved this stuff in the AM with strong cup of coffee, mmm...good stuff. As already mentioned, can not rush the SG flake; dry time, prep, smoking, etc. it makes the all the difference IMHO and for me, I can go from a WOW smoke to a BLAH smoke from bowl to bowl if I miss or rush things with SG flake.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have some SG Bracken Flake, which is one of my favs - been aging a stack of tins now for almost 5+ years, all this talk of SG flake has me walking by the tins and thinking about pop'in one open. I loved this stuff in the AM with strong cup of coffee, mmm...good stuff. As already mentioned, can not rush the SG flake; dry time, prep, smoking, etc. it makes the all the difference IMHO and for me, I can go from a WOW smoke to a BLAH smoke from bowl to bowl if I miss or rush things with SG flake.

Oh man oh man, Bracken Flake was one of the best ever made! I was lucky enough to come across 5 tins for sale not too long ago and they were all purchased in March of 2011. With almost 7 years of age on them the smoke is just heavenly. Enjoy that stuff while you can, I currently have a tin open as well, so cheers to that! Oh and yeah, goes amazing for a "wake me up" smoke in the a.m. with a cup of joe!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I smoked Bracken Flake everyday about 2007, but then they started making throwback versions without a by your leave, and I haven't pursued it since.
Hard to say why blending houses release tobacco at different levels of moisture. You would think it would be because they feel they have an informed opinion of how it smokes best, but in the case of SG SJF it's not hard to conclude that given that perique is more expensive, it is to protect their profit margin. Great blend at a great price. When I order it in bulk I airdrop it en masse on cookie sheets and then jar it.
Russ Ouellette serves tobacco while GLP serves his at ~12%.
Could be that the dry tobacco camp iOS right as moisture masks flavor. Could be that dry tobacco burns faster and hotter and that particles so incinerated issue smoke with more "flavor particles" per iota.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I'm giving 1792 a go later today. Feel like I am going for an adventure. The smell certainly is unique and powerful. I am not afraid of some nicotine. That can be mellowed with alcohol, like a porter or some scotch. But the smell...

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
1792 Flake is my second favorite Flake just behind Bracken from SG. If you are a new pipe smoker it might be a little too much too early but if ya have some experience you should be fine. I prefer to smoke it in smaller bowls like a squat bulldog otherwise it tends to get bitter near the end. It’s basically my replacement for Bracken but they are very different blends.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a theory on why Samuel Gawith ships their bulk flakes so wet. They are sent in wax paper surrounded by a paper box. I believe they think if it sits on their tobacconists shelves for a while, there is enough moisture that it does not dry out by the time the customer buys it. Now as to why it is so wet in tins, I have no idea.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I haven't a large collection of briars. I have a few, maybe ten or so, and one cob and that is where I am putting my 1792. I have no idea what this tonquin stuff is going to be like, so cob it is.

I don't have the video, but someone had posted their giant rotary flake cutter, with the flakes just splashing off the machine. It was sopping wet. Why?:" I have no idea.
But, to those that think that drying tobacco loses flavor... what flavor does water and steam add to the blend that you miss? I mean smoke 'em like you like 'em, but my taste buds pick up much more flavor from bone dry tobacco. You just have to self-regulate your cadence down to a trickle of smoke. But, who is to say what is the best way to smoke? It just sounds strange to my ears to hear that water adds flavor.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have a theory on why Samuel Gawith ships their bulk flakes so wet. They are sent in wax paper surrounded by a paper box. I believe they think if it sits on their tobacconists shelves for a while, there is enough moisture that it does not dry out by the time the customer buys it. Now as to why it is so wet in tins, I have no idea.

In my experience, every box I've purchased from them have been close to perfect smoking moisture level even those that Smoking Pipes had just gotten in stock. I have found that I much prefer the box to the tins. Yes, it could be that all of the boxes I've purchased have sat around for a long time and therefor lost some water weight but I've bought a lot of boxes over the years and they have all been much drier than their tinned counterparts. I've also noticed that the flakes are cut thinner in the box. I don't know if this is because they've changed their machinery over the years as all of my tins are at least two years old or older but those have much thicker, wetter flakes that are much, much harder to use the fold and stuff method and they can be a pain in the arse just to rub them out. Has anyone else noticed a difference in cut and moisture level between the boxes and the tins? The box of St. James Flake that I purchased on Christmas of 2016 are cut almost as thin as Stonehaven and they are much easier to work with.
But, to those that think that drying tobacco loses flavor... what flavor does water and steam add to the blend that you miss? I mean smoke 'em like you like 'em, but my taste buds pick up much more flavor from bone dry tobacco. You just have to self-regulate your cadence down to a trickle of smoke. But, who is to say what is the best way to smoke? It just sounds strange to my ears to hear that water adds flavor.

I totally agree with you. It's not like you are losing the oils and aromas when the water evaporates and the tobacco becomes drier, the opposite is true, the oils and aromas get concentrated as it dries, giving the smoker a more flavorful smoke, water just dilutes those flavors.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Hawky, all of my bulk SG flakes came wet and as thick and tough as beef jerky. All of my tinned versions had flakes much thinner and more pliable. I bought all of my bulk in the summer of 2012 and tins from back then till today. I just bought a bunch of 2011 and 2012 tins from pipesutd. I opened a 2012 St James flake and the flakes were thin and pliable.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hmmmm... we appear to be living in the bizarro world where everything I experience has been the exact opposite from your experiences. lol.
My tins date back to 2010 to 2016 but the boxes I've been purchasing are mainly from 2016 to 2017. I went a little crazy with purchasing baccies these past two years. I'm smoking Kendal Cream Flake now from the box and it's perfect moisture and very thinly sliced. I guess all this proves is there are always going to be inconsistencies in this field of business but that is all part of the fun... I guess, it can be very frustrating too, like the post I made about the Erinmore Flake being a golden light color every now and again, luckily it's the exception and not the rule because I much prefer the flavors when my EF is dark brown, almost black.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
hawky, It is pretty weird how the thickness of the flakes is so different. I would much rather have the thinner more pliable than the thick dense stuff. It is much easier to work with and it dries out much faster. Do you think that since SG and GH merged they may be using different machines? Have you noticed any hints of Lakeland flavors on your new SG blends? I am honestly very glad that all of my SG flakes are 2012 or older as any hint of Lakeland would bum me out.
I cracked a tin of 2004 FVF earlier today and the flakes were the thin pliable ones. It only took less than an hour to dry out like I enjoy smoking it. Those thicker flakes can take over 2 hours to dry enough for my taste.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
hawky, It is pretty weird how the thickness of the flakes is so different. I would much rather have the thinner more pliable than the thick dense stuff. It is much easier to work with and it dries out much faster. Do you think that since SG and GH merged they may be using different machines? Have you noticed any hints of Lakeland flavors on your new SG blends? I am honestly very glad that all of my SG flakes are 2012 or older as any hint of Lakeland would bum me out.
I cracked a tin of 2004 FVF earlier today and the flakes were the thin pliable ones. It only took less than an hour to dry out like I enjoy smoking it. Those thicker flakes can take over 2 hours to dry enough for my taste.
I know that is odd, maybe it has something to do with inconsistencies of the old style cutter? I don't know but I am currently drying out a St. James Flake from the tin that is the thick beef jerky style cut and you're right, they take forever to dry out and they are very hard to work with but I love this one so much it's worth the extra effort.
Every now and again I do get a hint of Lakeland on some of the Samuel Gawith tobaccos and I can't stand tasting the Lakeland sauce where it does not belong. I had a whole box of Full Virginia Flake that was tainted, it was faint but it was most definitely there. Also, about 1 out 5 tins of Cabbies Mixture seems to be tainted with the Lakeland sauce as well and Brian actually brought that up on his latest tobacco review on the Pipes Mag Radio Show. I've never tasted it on St. James Flake however and I hope it stays that way.
I bet that tin of 2004 FVF is tasting pretty damn good!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
hawky, that 2004 is sublime, one of the best smokes I have in my cellar.
That sucks you are getting some tainted product, I would be livid. I had a feeling that was going to happen as GH machines have to be coated with that Lakeland essence.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I've often wondered if the tinned versions of FVF and SJF is pressed and cut from different slabs as that which goes into bulk boxes.
I think this as the tinned version of both blends have more solid flakes whereas the boxes have very 'soft' flakes.....they have not got the same consistency.
Just a thought.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.