Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
OK - so it's time I out myself as a nerd. The core of which is centered on being a Star Wars fan for life. I was selected to give my 8th grade graduation speech and based the whole thing on SW. My apartment is littered w/ SW posters/paraphernalia. Many other nerdy things exist in my life. I'm also a professional musician, which can be considered nerdy. HOWEVER, the point of this post is that I'm currently planning a D&D game. This is game 3 of a 10 game series and I've been having a hard time moving from theoretical ideas to concrete plans for the game (Yes...I am DM). Currently, Some GL Pease Meridian is helping, and I'll be moving to GL pease Jack Knife before i hit the sack. I almost exclusively smoke GLP blends. I also own an opened C&D Barister and a Sutliff Blend No. 5. Both of which sit in my tobacco cabinet and I look at thinking "I could smoke you...but i enjoy my GLP so much more..."
ANYWAY - thought it'd be interesting to see if anyone else was a D&D player. Game 3 is this Saturday and I'm way far behind schedule in planning as opposed to what I'd like, but I'm trying to get a haunted mansion feel for this one and it's been difficult. Furthermore I wanted to talk about the blends I'm smoking w/out entering the "What Are You Smoking" thread where people w/ clearly more money or at least more of a collection then I expect to have w/in the next few years reside and make me feel small. So....GLP fans out there? D&D fans out there?

irish2fish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2011
Alaska
I dont play D&D but am quite the Star Wars fan who has been known to play with my kids SW Legos.lol I feel your pain about the not having the tobacco collection of others in this forum. I just buy what smells good at the local tobacco shop. Well good luck with the game,wish i could help.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Just got a new job teaching music for a 210% increase in pay from my old job at a liquor store, WOW! So -- After a pay check or two I'll be heading into Chicago to visit Iwan Ries for a large tobacco purchase. Also my collection will still be easily dwarfed, I'll at least feel like I have a place. :)
In regards to the game, I think I have the outline of the encounters I want the players to face, now I just have to roll out some NPCs tonight, and I'll be all set. I'll let you all know how the game goes!

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
OH, and Irish2, I LOVE LEGOS. Both real life SW Legos, as well as the SW legos Video Games. Haven't gotten the newest one because I haven't seen all of the Clone Wars show and don't want it spoiled, but anticipate I'll see it all soon and buy the game shortly afterwards :D

soylentgreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2011
I've been running a D&D campaign for 6 years now. We play about twice a month. Good fun.
My style of play is more on the wargaming side of the spectrum and less on the "plot" and "roleplay" side. So it's mostly dungeon crawls. The goal is almost always "kill things and take their stuff". I think the players stay interested because a) all D&D players like to advance their PCs in wealth and level; we've just retired PCs that have been played for 5 years of real time, and b) guys in their 30s and 40s with wife, mortgage, and kids, by and large don't get much opportunity to drink beer, be loud, and act like middle-schoolers very often. It's therapeutic.
So what works for me is to think in terms of puzzles and challenges. What sounds cool. Set up a bunch of cool locations, monsters, and NPCs. But don't over-detail it; aim for lots of thinly detailed stuff rather than fewer highly detailed stuff. Then let the players decide what they want to do.
Don't be constrained by "medieval" or LOTR either. My players have found laser guns and even ended up naked and lost on Barsoom (John Carter from Mars anyone?). Keep the players guessing, but not too confused.
I also use the old modules They're great, but the trick is to only use what you want. Feel free to edit the map if it seems too long, or drop in a different treasure, or swap-out a monster. Or run it as is.
I don't think about plot anymore. I used to and for me, that was way more difficult. Now the players "make up the story" by choosing, overcoming, and failing at the challenges they've chosen.
We play the original rules published in ~1975. That helps this sort of thing a lot. Recent versions make this more difficult (for me) because the rules are far more detailed and seem to demand more preparation.
Good luck.

-Wayne

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Former 2nd Edition player here!! Many a night was spent in my youth, gathered around a table playing D&D. My friends nearly castrated me when I mentioned we should play the then new "Spelljammer" campaign (I thought it was kinda neat). :lol:
I tried to get back into it about 10 years ago while stationed in Japan. I bought a crap load of the new 3rd edition books at the BX, but I couldn't find anyone who wanted to play.
Oh well...The one thing I've always loved about D&D rules books, even if you don't play, they're still fun to read!
Another game I would love to get into is "Warhammer: 40,000". I always liked the models and the lore and thought it would be a blast to play, but again, couldn't find anyone interested in it.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
I do love the good old fashioned pen and paper. The only 2nd edition that I've played was in Baldur's Gate for PC but I've played a goodly amount of 3.5 and only a little of 4th. I'm not sure about 4th but it has made the game easier to grasp for new players and the action moves quite a bit faster so that's quite fun, but I would have to play more to decide how I really feel. I haven't played in several years but I would love to play again.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
ex dungeon master with all the refference books. picked em up when i was in germany and they helped pass the time when we were to broke to go out and chase women...

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Ah sweet days of youth! All of my RPG gear, D&D and AD&D among them, hasn't been used much since college. I also played a bit of Warhamer Fantasy Battle and Warhammer 40K. I've always thought it would be fun to get back into, but just don't seem to have the time with all my other new hobbies. My wife was a bit of a gamer in her day as well and was one heck of an artist, with a strong bent toward fantasy themes. As for the Star Wars thing, I was seven years old when the first film came out and things haven't been the same since!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I played "Magic the Gathering" card game through Highschool, I still have all my cards, I just forgot how to play lol...

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Furthermore I wanted to talk about the blends I'm smoking w/out entering the "What Are You Smoking" thread where people w/ clearly more money or at least more of a collection then I expect to have w/in the next few years reside and make me feel small.

Piffle to feeling "small"!

1 blend or 50 to choose from the cabinet means nothing with respect to posting in the "What Are You Smoking" thread. Post away undecagon, post away!

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
I've DM-ed a few campaigns. We mostly stick to 3.5 because we don't like the new rulebooks. I've been trying to keep the campaign going, but its college and we all like to do other things as well. Eventually we'll get back into it.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
LOL
I played when I was in Junior High, and then got to play a bit about six or seven years ago when a co-worker of mine had a group he played with. D&D and Magic: The Gathering. Just recently I picked up the "red box" as my daughter is almost old enough to play now, and my wife showed an interest as well. If that goes anywhere, I'll have to upgrade my manuals, since I've got 1st Edition. 4th Edition it is!
As for the "What are you smoking?": post my friend, post. I do, and I am usually smoking something bulk (like 1Q right now) or something that a lot of the guys wouldn't deign to put in their briar, like X Sweet Mystery. My pipes aren't exactly royal, either. It's just a touchstone to see who's around and puffing away.
Simon

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I dabbled in D&D in my Jr. Highschool days, but by the time I hit senior high, I had discovered the joys of both text (and early graphics based) MUDs and beating on people with sword and board via the SCA. I never did get involved to the point where I started DM'ing, but I did collect first and second edition manuals and guides (my pride and joy is a 1st Edition Deities and Demigods hardcover that hasn't been opened).
As for the "What are you smoking now" thread, don't be daunted - we all started somewhere, and for most of us, that somewhere wasn't an unsmoked 7 day Dunhill set loaded with 3 Nuns circa 1940. While some people do certainly have a stash that would make a tobacconist green with envy, you'll find there are just as many people who smoke nothing but Carter Hall, or 1Q (I'm looking at you, Hobie), and post about it regularly. That doesn't make them any less of a pipe-smoker; nor does dropping thousands of dollars on leaf and briar make you more of a pipe-smoker.

The only reason I stopped posting there is to keep some sort of an air of mystery as to what blends I'll be reviewing next.

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
i am en ex gamer havent played in years, me and my mates also used to play A Middle Earth card game it was a cool system sort of like magic but not really :D

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Not into D&D, but just to chime in on the idea that you need to have dozens of tobaccos to choose from in order to post what you are smoking. Just one word: poppycock. I smoke Shortcut to Mushrooms most of the time and post almost daily in the "What are you smoking?" thread. As time goes by, I am sure you get the opportunity to smoke a number of different blends over the course of time. Just enjoy whatever you have in your pipe at the moment.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Love all the other D&D fans out there. We use 3.5, but change many rules to our liking. And don't actually use miniatures or maps.
Would also like to clarify my error. I have no problem posting WHAT i am smoking. It's the "WHERE ARE YOU SMOKING" threads that I find intimidating! Some peoples pipe collections in their pipe rooms are almost bigger than the apartments I've lived in for the past 5 years!!!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Would also like to clarify my error. I have no problem posting WHAT i am smoking. It's the "WHERE ARE YOU SMOKING" threads that I find intimidating! Some peoples pipe collections in their pipe rooms are almost bigger than the apartments I've lived in for the past 5 years!!!
Well, I smoke outdoors, but my pipe collection is kept in the smallest bedroom in the house, which also houses my music studio, brewing equipment, and kegerator. It's an impressive room, no doubt!

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Ahh, not as in the OP What, but Where is at issue, that I can empathize with.

My motley collection of late 20th century garage sale furnishings is not something I will soon put on public display! (-;

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
No worries about that. I smoke outside myself. Its probably been 20 years since I smoked anything anywhere inside whilst being healthy enough to be out of bed and dressed to some sort of acceptable manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.