PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Hello Friends.

I purchased this pipe (images included) which is a bit of a mystery to me. I know some of you folks like a good mystery. A clover emblem on the flank as seen, but no other markings, text, etc. I restored this prior to the photos. It required a great deal of care and 2002finesse and looked ancient before I did my thing. However, looks can be deceiving.

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpeg
    IMG_0299.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: cshubhra

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
From Pipephil site.

The first Super Grains appeared in late 1931 or early 1932. They are the only pipes Kaywoodie produced with the shamrock inlaid in the shank and not on the stem.

Shank embedded logos were stoped by 1938.

Not sure why yours is missing its nomenclature other than wear or something else. It's early we know that much.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is that a stinger with a screw-in stem? I like the cant on the bowl, a little more swanky than many K's. I have much later versions, a Drinkless (apple or author I'd say) Ruff Tone, and a push bit blast straight panel pot/billiard. American factory pipes are stuck in the 40's and 50's, and I love 'em. This one is a venerable ancestor to mine.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Since you said Grecian Briar....from the net

1931: Super Grains first appeared in late 1931 or early 1932. They were produced from specially procured “Grecian Briar” and are the only pipes Kaywoodie ever produced with the white shamrock in the shank and no stem logo.
5142 is an early 4 digit shape number

Reactions: scloyd and dmcmtk

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Is that a stinger with a screw-in stem? I like the cant on the bowl, a little more swanky than many K's. I have much later versions, a Drinkless (apple or author I'd say) Ruff Tone, and a push bit blast straight panel pot/billiard. American factory pipes are stuck in the 40's and 50's, and I love 'em. This one is a venerable ancestor to mine.

A stinger it is indeed, sir. Now that I know it is an early 1930s Kaywoodie, I am pretty sure I am not worthy to smoke it. Your Kaywoodie sounds like a fine pipe too.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Since you said Grecian Briar....from the net

1931: Super Grains first appeared in late 1931 or early 1932. They were produced from specially procured “Grecian Briar” and are the only pipes Kaywoodie ever produced with the white shamrock in the shank and no stem logo.
5142 is an early 4 digit shape number

Jason, thanks for this! Man, the history of this pipe.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
How do I find out how much this is worth? I decided I want to sell it to fund the purchase of other pipes. I am genuinely interested in pricing it right. Like everyone else, I am probably overestimating its value...

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Not much more than $100. In its current condition. A perfect example wouldn’t be much more. They are interesting, but not super valuable. Rare doesn’t always mean dollars. Sorry.

Reactions: Humblepipe
Status
Not open for further replies.