PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Well, now that I’ve started ordering more bulk tobaccos, I find that I have very fine tobacco and powder in the bottom of the bag/container. I hesitate to add this in while jarring as it may affect the burn and/or taste?
Is there anything to do with this powder? Sprinkle it on my oatmeal? Throw it out? Thanks.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I don't mind adding it to the top of a bowl for a little added kindling.
Yeah, I actually thought about doing this. Especially for the somewhat difficult to light flakes or broader cuts. I’m just a little concerned it may be harsh or bitey? (is “bitey” even a word?).
Will it not affect the rest of the bowl? Guess I just need to try it and see. Thanks.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Jarring it probably doesn’t make any difference, but I wouldn’t load it in my pipe. Usually just ends up coating the shank/stem or in the mouth. In either case, it doesn’t improve the smoke....

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well, I put it on top of the tobacco in my pipe, as in, once filled, just sprinkle it across the top. It won't be any finer than the ash at the bottom. The way I look at it, is if I can get ash in my pipe anyway near the bottom, that little sprinkle across the top ain't gonna affect it anymore than the ash at the bottom. By the time it gets near the bottom, you're likely ready to toss it anyways.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Well, I put it on top of the tobacco in my pipe, as in, once filled, just sprinkle it across the top. It won't be any finer than the ash at the bottom. The way I look at it, is if I can get ash in my pipe anyway near the bottom, that little sprinkle across the top ain't gonna affect it anymore than the ash at the bottom. By the time it gets near the bottom, you're likely ready to toss it anyways.
Makes sense. Going to try this. Thanks Carolina.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
3 Sails from D&R is already such a fine cut that it does lend itself to the development of 'powder'.

I usually mix it with a coarser bulk, like TwoTimer. I like to use it as a mixer anyway.

I don't have a problem with Powder...

5f4464b2853dec65cb90fdeeaeaacf5f.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oblivious, I usually don't even notice it, and handle it with the rest of the blend; however I really like the garden pesticide concept. A little for the roses.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I don't mind adding it to the top of a bowl for a little added kindling.

That's what I do as well. I have a small 2 oz mason jar and keep kindling and dust in it for starting some bowls, especially if I am doing a fold and stuff technique and need it on top.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If it's really dust, dunno, but I have a fair amount of fines that are just fine (pardon) to pack on the top of the load. These fines are bigger than dust, but small enough that they'd get drawn through the airway if at the bottom. With some blends, I'll shake the jar to bring the larger pieces to the top and the smaller ones end up at the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.