PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

w4ti

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
Hi All,
I've finally gone and worn out one of my favorite Dunhill roll up tobacco pouches. The leather is in great shape, but the liner has finally failed. I'd hate to throw the thing away, but I've not a clue on how to either repair this (getting the liner material would be a trick unto itself) or whom might, if anyone, be doing such repairs.
Any clues? Is it dumpster time for the old fellow?
-w4ti

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Re-purpose it. Use it to hold a favorite pipe or put your tobacco in a baggie and carry it in the roll-up but don't think about tossing it. It's too nice a thing to discard.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Many on another forum I belong to have used this gents services and have been very happy, have a few laying around myself that need fixin'.

http://www.whitewoodleather.com/
Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
yeah, papipeguy got it; just use the lovely leather roll-up pouch to hold a ziplock or similar bag of tobacco.

The leather will serve the good purpose of providing a sturdier outer layer, not just a decoration.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I wonder if the thing to do--although it doesn't help your situation--is to get two of a given pouch, and vacuum pack one for the future when the first one gives out. I have a really nice button up Peterson pouch lined in latex, but I know the latex lining will give out someday. In that event, I could break out the second pouch that I kept in storage for just this eventuality.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Is that one of those really fine leather linings similar to shammy leather? You might want to consider picking up on of those oil skin tobacco pouches and then stitch it into the old pouch leaving the original leather in situ so that you can stitch against that leather. This avoids having to copy the stitch style and it is out of sight. Have you tried contacting Dunhill since as a rule they are usually very helpful and if they don't repair pouches they will have someone they recommend.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Learn to do it yourself. Leather working is an incredibly useful thing to be able to do, and now's your perfect chance. If you carefully unpick the threads, then you can repair the lining, and you'd have the perfect template to be able to learn, being as the stitch holes are all in the right place. If that fails, then send it to someone. Make do and mend!

w4ti

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
Just to bring this full circle:
I sent the pouch off to Bob at http://whitewoodleather.com for a relining. He did a fantastic job and the turn around was quick. He also reconditioned the leather itself and it looks darn near brand new.
If you have a pouch you'd like to repair, Bob did good work for me. I'm sure he'd do the same for you.
-w4ti

Status
Not open for further replies.