PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I think "breathability" has to do with the pipe being able to dry more quickly from any moisture absorbed. Meerschaum is notoriously "breathable" and you can't suck air through it.

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
This is an interesting topic to me. I got a Peterson’s Killarney Red bent billiard (fishtail), oh, just about a year ago now I think — maybe over a year, I don’t recall exactly. Anyway she sure shines! Many bowls later and it still ‘pops’ with its mirror gloss, and honestly I don’t remember ever waxing the stummel.

Which leads me to wonder what’s in the gloss coating of this and similar pipes... Some trade secret? Some of these restoration pros probably know exactly. If it is a trade secret, that’s totally fair in my book. If they gave all their inside tips away they lose business, and I don’t blame them one bit! (Red blooded American Capitalist here.)

Now someone comes along and says “Dude, everyone knows they just do such and so. Don’t be an idjit!” lol

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've read posts by some artisan carvers who say they give several very thinned down coatings of shellac before the final wax and buff. I am sure they weren't joshing, and that shellac applied thus will stand up just fine—but I've not done that myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.