Polo Airmix Related to Civic and Cadogan, Help on History.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

9 Fresh Radice Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes
3 Fresh Askwith Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingart79

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Hello out there. This is my first post. I recently, like in March, bought my first "expensive" pipe since before that I've only smoked Dr. Grabows and corn cobs. That stupid Zulu Peterson stem broke twice already. Then someone told me used pipes are like used forks, when this whole time I was thinking it was more like kissing a bunch of pipe smoking men. So I started looking on epay and it was like finding hidden treasure. It's now an obsession, and one of the main things I love about it is the history of the pipe.
So to make a longer story, not as long, the first pipe I bought was a Polo Airmix. I can kind of trace the history of the carburetor pipe to Kaywoodie and I think I saw a brochure for Cadogan or Civic with one in it. But nothing about Polo. Anyhow, anyone have any knowledge on carburetor pipes and this one?
20171202_160954_zpstwtfwyif.jpg

20171202_161003_zpsmrazxkhj.jpg

Thanks ya'll

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
According to Jose Manuel Lopes in his book titled Pipes - Artisians and Trademarks Polo was a, "English brand which initially belonged to Civic Co. and later moved to the Cadogan/Oppenheimer Group...". In Who Made That Pipe? Wilczak & Colwell identify Polo as a brand manufactured by W.P. Solomon / B. Pearlman & Co. of England, in addition to the Civic and Oppenheimer brand mentioned my Lopes. Unfortunately that is all I could come up with.
In addition to Kaywoodie, Dunhill also manufactured a carburetor pipe called the Airstream which, if memory serves, was introduced in the 1930s.

kingart79

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
That's what I was thinking Hunter, that it was produced around that era. And yes it does say Made in England on one side with the evil number 13 and the other side it says London Made. It smokes pretty good, looks pretty with it's red finish, has a carb in case I want to smoke weed out of it, and I heard JFK smoked out of it. It was a steal for $20.

kingart79

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Why doesn't my picture show up? It's so impersonal. I think I rather talk to a wall than a no face pipe smoker. But isn't that the joy smoking a pipe and not knowing or knowing the history of where it's been.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why doesn't my picture show up? It's so impersonal. I think I rather talk to a wall than a no face pipe smoker. But isn't that the joy smoking a pipe and not knowing or knowing the history of where it's been.
Your images are being held for ransom by Photobucket. You will need to cough up $500 per annum for Photobucket to allow your images to be seen on remote servers. Your best option is to suggest to the PTB at Photobucket that they repeatedly perform a series of unnatural sexual acts upon themselves, and go and find another site to host your images.

Status
Not open for further replies.