PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

moth

Lurker
Jul 11, 2010
We've had a statistics subforum for quite a while now and I'm curious as to the trends in the US. I'm quite sure there are remarkable differences even in minor aspects such as filter usage or preference for bulldogs versus rhodesians. Any chance we'll see polls turning up on Pipes Magazine any time soon? You get a lot of visitors from across the map and could conceivably produce more useful and more precise statistics.

Or is there already a polls section somewhere and I've missed it?
Experience tells me that useful polls should have options in the format "x times out of n the above statement is true." and if possible offer the possibility of picking multiple choices (such as 1/6 of my pipes are meers, 5/6 are briars, 0/6 are cobs).

Possible questions to raise could regard preferred tobacco group, bowl shape, chamber size, bend, length, material, price range, cellaring, etc.
L.E. You could rotate a few dozen polls each year.

Alternatively, you could have a survey every year containing 20 to 30 questions, with the promise of giving 10 of the participants a pack of pipe-cleaners each for incentive.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I agree. The use of polls has been invaluable to me in gaining knowledge

of preferences for Pipe, blends, smoking styles and Pipe maintenance. This

type of information helps to tailor the focus of evolving interests

and experiences in our small community. It can provide venue for those who

want to explore new horizons and share results.

moth

Lurker
Jul 11, 2010
It might, provided you're kind enough to share with us your experiences regarding your traditional pear-wood pipes. :P

Cherry-wood used to be the norm here and it proved quite inappropriate for smoking when put next to briar, so I became a little reluctant to try out alternative woods myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.