• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
As a somewhat new pipemaker, 2yrs now, I thought I might pose the question, what type of finish do you like? I'd like to just get a cross-section idea of what people prefer when they're looking for a new pipe. Are you a smooth pipe guy/gal, do you like a blasted finish, if so do you prefer just a light blast that gives you a little tactile feel to it or a deep craggy blast? Rusticated? Or even a combo of these. I'll let this go for a week.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Every finish is great.
For sandblasts i love seeing the blasted birdseyes.
And for rustication, I love deep rustication i.e. Tom Eltang and Former rustication.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and doug535

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I used to despise blasted or rusticated pipes. Over the last few years I've come to really appreciate them, and at this point most of my pipes are non-smooth. I certainly prefer smooth or lightly blasted pipes, and am much less likely to spring for a really deep, craggy blast or a rusticated pipe.

Reactions: doug535
Sep 4, 2019
East TN
My collection has all finishes... Smooth, blasted, rusticated.. Meers are smooth, my cobs are a mix... but theres just something tactile and satisfying about fondling those rusticated pipes.

Reactions: doug535

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I started enjoying the rusticated pipe as it got me in the game at better price point as the flaws went unnoticed. Currently, with the help of the daily smoking list and the fabulous pictures that everyone takes, I have started appreciating the smooth pipes and their fine Birdseye and grain. Ect.ect.ect.

Thanks for taking time to post pictures and share experiences both of the pipe and crazy inspections gone wrong or other kids challenges.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and doug535

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
CrAGgiEr the better! Love the tactile sensation from a beautifully craggy blast and to my eye it showcases the briar.

Wasn’t always my preference and I used to really love a smooth finish. Now a smooth only catches my eye if it’s got some fantastic grain or birdseye. Don’t get me wrong, I have plenty of smooth pipes that are dear to me, but craggy blasts ... outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.