PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I would be interested in hearing about what pocket knives you all like as being useful for pipe smoking.

I have a few of the ubiquitous Czech tools, as well a Butner reamer and and old Pipnet reamer set, but it would be nice to have a handy pocket knife for cutting tobacco, reaming the bowl, etc. I imagine a three blade knife would be handy, with a clip blade for general knife use not related to pipes, but also a flat edge blade for cutting and cubing tobacco, and a rounded tip blade for reaming the bowl. The only pocket knife I have is a massive Buck folding Hunter, and that is just too much for anything with pipes.

What are your faves for a double duty general pocket knife and pipe/tobacco tool?

Thanks!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I don't use any knives on the pipes themselves but do have a couple "daily users".

For cutting plugs and ropes, mine is a simple Barlow pocket knife that was given to me as a gift:
img_20150205_163931-600x442.jpg

For general carry and my favorite all purpose use knife ... the classic Old Timer.

Since I don't have a photo, I found an identical one online:
oldtimer-600x438.jpg

EDIT: I do occasionally use this little "scraper" ... I guess it's a knife? :)
JohnAylesburyHardwoodPipeToolShadowedM.jpg

Reactions: Rigidman

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
The little Swiss Army knives covers most of it for me. It can tamp and clear a bowl. The replaceable toothpick works as a short poker.

SACLASSD.jpg

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Many Victorinox / Swiss Army knife models have a reamer built-in:

reamer.jpg

comp_s1055827.jpg

comp_s1055833.jpg

But I'm not sure if the blade is sharp enough out of the box to slice those SG Black XX twist in thin coins while you can definitely sharpen those stainless steel blade a bit.

However, a tamper is definitely missing in there.
A double-duty general purpose pocket knife plus pipe tool is probably a by-gone era utility idea when pipe smoking can be more ubiquitous. Perhaps you can look for it in some antique stores, in particular for those knives made in Sheffield England.

Smoker4-1.jpg

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Don't think I would ream with it, but my Opinel No. 8 work knife is great for cutting tobacco. Good steel and holds an edge like nobodies business. Found an old picture that shows my knife.
2013-04-30-153542-600x450.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Hen and Rooster has good pocket knifes that are priced decent, they have one called the little trapper that performs well. You need one with what I call a Stockmans blade, you can do some damage with a real pointed blade.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"...you can do some damage with a real pointed blade.
Yes indeed. That is one reason I like the nail file/screwdriver on the Swiss Army knife for clearing out a bowl.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
One of my favorite pipe tools is actually from the French knife company Forge de Laguiole. A little pricey, but it'll be the last and only pipe tool you'll ever need.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I can't find the damn thing anywhere lately but I got this little guy and it was great.
31PQFJ5C29L._SX425_.jpg

Cuts tobacco, can be used as a tamper, can ream. Gotta dig that up, I think my fiancee nicked it.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I use a Xikar lighter with pipe tools built in -- a tamper, a spike, and a very dull knife which I think could be sharpened. I don't smoke plugs/flakes out of the house so no need for anything sharp. I've a desk knife that works well for those at home.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I carry a Victorinox Swiss Champ on my belt everywhere and have for years. It is easily the most useful tool I have ever had. I also carry a Spyderco Delica Emerson in my front pocket for quick cutting jobs.

rivervalley

Lurker
Feb 15, 2015
Pocket knives are my weakness. Have collected hundreds over the years. Everyday carry includes a Spyderco and a traditional like this old Case that I'm carrying today. I always cut my cigars with my knife but use them sparingly and carefully on my MM cob and Savinelli.

IqmC7wm.jpg

This is my first attempt at posting a pic on this forum,, hope it works :)

Mar 1, 2014
I've been into high end knives for a little over a decade now (Spyderco, KAI, Bussekin), and that industry is still my favourite (probably only because I don't own any guns though).
The blade on a Victorinox would probably be well suited to reaming, to match the shape of the bowl you would want a fairly steep curve near the tip and a fairly narrow blade, not a lot of knives have that profile.

Victorinox also has great blade geometry, they deserve the populatrity they get.
I wish I could say I knew of a Spyderco that fits the bill.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This guy has been used for everything, and does a great job reaming pipes.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/15649

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
In previous threads they show Drs knives rounded blade for pill cutting excellent for pipes. Shel

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I agree with framitz, doctors or physicians knifes often, but not always have a non sharpened round end "spatula" blade for whatever purpose a doctor might use it. The butt end of the knife has a flat bolster, the pill crusher, that works good as a tamper. The main blade is usually a spear point blade, but I've seen clip point blades on them too. Some knifes have a pen blade instead of a spatula blade, but I prefer the spatula for use inside the bowl. Many knife makers make these, like Case and some German makers, but for what you would be using it for most of the time, some of the Chinese makes like Rough Rider or the current Schrade knives look pretty decent, and would probably do the job too.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I use this small Case Stockman. Tbradsim and I are in agreement about the dangers of too pointy a blade.
http://www.amazon.com/Case-Cutlery-Stockman-Stainless-Synthetic/dp/B001A2DU3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425760459&sr=8-1&keywords=case+small+stockman
You would need a larger version for a pipe with a deep bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.