Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I just picked up a brand new Sheffield knife from Paul's in Flint. I paid a little more than $10, but I'm glad to support Paul's! Like some of the other guys, I wouldn't want to put any blade with a point into my pipes.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Nice looking knife, Booker.
I am sorting through all the aspects of finding "good knives" these days. With the advent of an overall falloff of quality in pocket knives created by many if not all of the mass manufacturers' going to cheap labor markets making products from cheap labor materials, I find myself running to re-educate my sense of what a good knife really is anymore.

With the introduction of new steel formulas produced by the Scandinavian manufacturers and the introduction in many knife lines of steels which are not quality when it comes to taking and holding an edge, I find myself quite confused.
I have gleaned from the thread that a pipe knife is not pointed so as not to ruin the bottom of the bowl, or sides for that matter. This would lead me to believe that a stainless product would be fine and edge is not really an issue.
For cutting tobacco however this is quite another matter. Many knives boasting stainless steel today are of little value when it comes to sharpening them rather quickly and having the edge last. Bucks, for example, are notoriously hard to sharpen, carry a wire edge, and take great ability and patience to work with. Not a plus for most custom knife makers.
Does anyone have any recent experience in this market in terms of a quality knife currently in production?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. Bought this and like it, little pricey , really sharp so I have to be careful even with rounded tip. It's like any knife you have to be careful around a Briar with a knife. Al is right about the little Sheffield that's all you need.

jetobey

Lurker
Feb 3, 2016
I saw that the "doctors'" knife was recommended earlier. That is what I use. I have an old Hen and Rooster from before the name was sold to "Frost Cutlery" ( the cable guy) that I got from A.G. Russell of Arkansas in the early 70's and I recently got another pricey one, a Case XX dressed up with Texas related impressed bolsters. I have the $9 one mentioned and agree that the way the blades are sloppily inset, it is too big for tamping all but very large pipes and, maybe the "pot" standard shape. The Case XX ( just under $100) is compact when folded, has the spatula, a small blade and a tamper shaped end, stag scales. It is not as well made as the H & R of old because the tamper/pill smasher uses the liners as part of the face, where a good vintage has a bolster that is flat but does cover the innards. I have a lot of knives and a fair number of premium, true customs in fixed and folding. My paternal grandfather, my father and I all collected pipes, and by 1994, together, we had nearly 2500, none of which were "drugstore." I sold down to now around 50-60 and through good fortune, they are mostly Dunhills, Charatans, and for years, Barlings were a family favorite. I am very fortunate, I know. Dad liked freehands too, while, Grandpa and I preferred standards and usually oversized. The truly vintage Barlings are superb. My Dad bought a new one the day I was born (1946) and when I was 21, he gave it to me- a beautiful OL Barling Billiard and I still have it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@jetobey - welcome to the forum. We have a lot of Barlings fans here (and other British pipes). We'd love to see any of your Barlings (or other) in threads in the British section. Thanks for posting!

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I have put this one now in the line of "tobacco duty". It´s a Great Eastern Cutlery electricians knife and the screwdriver is great for opening tins.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Here is mine: a kaywoodie from who knows how long ago. I picked it up from ebay.
20151227_113622_RichtoneHDR_zpsmebrglz2.jpg

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
I use a Wilkinson Sword pipe tool for tamping etc and an Arthur Wright Farmer's knife for cutting plug, twist etc. The current legislation in the UK makes it illegal to carry a knife with a blade length over 3.5", or a locking, or a fixed blade, without a justifiable reason, e.g. it would be illegal to carry a 4" lock knife in one's pocket whilst shopping, but not whilst bush crafting.

pipeknifews1-600x530.jpg

70-farmersheepfoot.jpg

Reactions: Pappy Coon

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Cheers Randelli. There are some top class looking knives on here - particularly the TC Barlow and the Str-ek.
My next penknife purchase will be a Taylor's Eye Witness Barlow. I also have a nice Wostenholme and a Shrade Uncle Henry. The Shrade is great - well made and heavy, but illegal to now carry in the UK.
taylors-barlow.jpg

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Bentbob - The current legislation in the UK makes it illegal to carry a knife with a blade length over 3.5", or a locking, or a fixed blade, without a justifiable reason
Nearly correct.. It's actually a non locking folding knife with a 'cutting edge' under 3". All the other knives that don't fit into this category that aren't prohibited (flick knives etc and all that crap) need the 'reasonable excuse' clause in accordance to Section 139 of the criminal justic act.
Geek rant over! :D
Nice knives btw Bob.
What is bush crafting?
Us fat older guys play in the woods with expensive knives and axes and give it a special name becasue we're too sophisticated to call it camping. ;)
(Bit more serious note, kind of incorperates outdoor living, use of the plants, crafting items from resources found naturually and old school survivial techniques. Think.. modern woodsman/nerd hybrid)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
My everyday carry knife is a Kershaw which is a great knife, but when it comes to cutting tobacco etc. I use an old Buck knife. Its got a secondary blade that works great as a reaming tool too.

Status
Not open for further replies.