PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have several pocket knives, but the one I seem to carry is from the now defunct cutlery company in New York State, Camillus. This knife has a the end of a 22 Hornet cartridge embedded in the faux bone handle. The blade locks and it is a good size and weight unless I'm doing some serious work.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
31Bn1lg%2B1gL.jpg

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
The doctor knives that were made by Case are collectors items now but knock offs from Smokey Mountain Knives can be had. It's been kind of a silent obsession for me to get one and perhaps one day I will but the tool I'm most likely to grab is the overly simple pipe nail. I've actually been using the same one for over a year now and although I always misplace it, it always turns up. I probably just ruined my luck by posting that. A Dr. Knife with Briar slabs would be nice come to think of it!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just picked up a Case XX hawkbill for for plugs and ropes. Probably overkill, just loved the look of it.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I personally wouldn't use a pocket knife on my pipe. I have a handful of different things, sometimes a Swiss Army is hard to beat for the cost. I have a Gerber that I loved but they don't make anymore.
I guess if I had to cut a plug right now...sadly...the swiss army blade is the sharpest!

pipingnate

Lurker
Mar 26, 2015
Definitely would use my Benchmade 51 or Spyrderco Sage 1 for cutting a plug. FYI to anyone interested from a guy who lives in Camillus, Camillus knives aren't made here anymore. Factory closed up and now they're all made in China. Sad because they employed a bunch of people.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I always use my Benchmade 9052S AFO II Automatic Knife. It has been on 6 deployments and 3 combat tours and used it for everything and it is still going strong. I carry it everywhere I go!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Monty, that knife was about to get my hackles up until I found they worked with Razel to create it. I bet it's a beauty.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I think I posted this pic some time ago, but I still like this knife for cutting plug tobacco, and all around use. Not the best pic of it, but it's a Robeson jack knife that was passed down from my grandfather to my dad and finally to me. For some reason it was carried in dad's tackle box, but I cleaned it up a little and keep it handy for my tobacco use. The blade is quite sharp and is rather thin so it works nice for cutting plug and rope tobacco. I'm sure there are better knifes out there, but this one has a lot of nostalgia going on for me.

img_0041-600x450.jpg

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Orley, nice story! Glad you have it and rescued it to a better place of honor than a tackle box.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Before all my money went into pipes I was spending it for pocket knives. :lol: I prefer the classic patterns that are made in Solingen, Sheffield and of course the USA. In my opinion you can´t get a better knife for your money than the ones made by the Great Eastern Cutlery! After all I wouldn´t recommend to hit your pipe with a knife though. If you really want to the Spey or castration blade 8O worked best for me.
For cutting plug tobacco every other knife would do but if you want to do it in style go for an American made pocket knife! :puffy:

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Columbia River Knife and Tool 4020RH Graham Stubby Folding Razel Knife. Currently out of stock on Amazon :evil:
Stvalentine, looking for a Barlow like the one you have pictured.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Not a knife per se, but short of the crazy expensive french tool, this unit from Sheffield England has me sold
x26_12.png

Sheffield Pipe Knife
http://www.iwanries.com/Sheffield-Pipe-Knife-Brushed-Chrome-P885C519.cfm

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Not a knife per se, but short of the crazy expensive french tool, this unit from Sheffield England has me sold.
A great pipe Tool, I have used one of these for years, but now that I am smoking some Condor plug would love to find a good pocket knife that could serve this purpose.
Cheers,--Eric

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Stvalentine, if you ever see or hear of a knife like the one you have here in good shape and for sale give me a shout. I do not care about what the scales are made of or what color they are.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Sheffield knife is pretty handy and the right size. I have an older, sterling model. They are all over Ebay, usually around $10.

I bought this Steel Warrior "Doctors Knife" last year, thinking it would be a perfect pipe knife. But, it is way too large. The rounded blade is too wide to fit into most of my bowls. But, it was only $9 and of a decent quality, so no harm done.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I picked up that same old Sheffield knife for the same price some months ago and really like it.
@ssjones - That stinks the inexpensive "Doctors Knife" didn't work out. Nice looking and looks like it would have fit the bill well too fm the pic.

spartanfan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2013
Thanks for pointing out that Opinel - I have been looking for something exactly like that blade shape and have always wanted a reason to get an Opinel

Status
Not open for further replies.