PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrenderson

Lurker
Mar 3, 2019
I am a brand new pipe smoker! Have dabbled with cigars a little but nothing serious. I have been watching Muttnchop and is extremely informative and I ended up purchasing two different type of tobacco not knowing really anything and ended up with CAO Eileen’s Dream and SPC Plum Pudding special reserve. Now first I tried Eileen’s dream and was not very found of it. Then went for the plum pudding. I was immediately in love, what a wounderful smoke. With that being said what els is out there that is similar?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Plum Pudding SR is amazing stuff. Possibly my favorite blend of all.
You can give Dreams of Kaddath a try. I wouldn't call it similar exactly but rather "esque".

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Plum Pudding is a Balkan blend (an oriental-forward English blend, as is my understanding) so any blend described as “Balkan” should get you at least in the same zip code. I’m smoking Hearth & Home BlackHouse right now and it’s reminiscent of Plum Pudding, but it doesn’t have the sweetness that PP has. To be honest, Plum Pudding is quite unique in my experience and I haven’t heard of anything that tastes quite like it. Special Reserve even more so, you kind of started at the top of the tobacco mountain and skipped all of the stops along the way! Plum Pudding Special Reserve is pretty much the pinnacle of premium tobaccos. I started the same way, and I haven’t found anything that quite comes close. But to my original point, if you like Plum Pudding, you’ll probably like other Balkan Blends. You could always mix another Balkan with a touch of something fruity/sweet to try to replicate the experience at a cheaper price.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Plum pudding is an excellent blend, especially the special reserve. Eileen's dream is one of the worst, if not the worst tobacco I have ever smoked. After several bowls, I gave up. And I like aromatics just as much as others!

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I think mtwaller is on it.
If I were the OP, I’d be disheartened a bit by the lack of responses. Truth is, the number of delicious tobacco blends is legion. Additionally it’s a hard question to answer as PP (/SR) is in a lead role in its class.
To give a list of 5 star blends is both exhaustive and subjective.
I would say to go to Tobacco Reviews (.com) and use some of the advanced search fields. When you’ve a bit more of an idea of what you enjoy across the spectrum, head to Smoking Pipes (.com) and A) look up blends you like and then scroll down to see similar blends and B) use the advanced ‘filter’ fields using the tobacco locator search feature.
I hope this helps!?!?!?
Best of luck to you :)

Reactions: Idahojoe

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Another blend to try by Seattle Pipe Club is Potlatch. I think I enjoy this blend more than Plum Pudding SR. Also give Black Frigate a try, by Cornell and Diehl.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Try the new version of Bengal Slices, tastes like Plum Pudding with a different topping to me. Both are really good blends. Also there is a sea of great English/Balkan blends out there and it sounds like that’s your thing so just start sampling different blends in that genre to figure out which ones speak to you.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
diamondback brings up a good point, if you search tobacco on Smokingpipes and you scroll down it has something to the effect of “customers who bought this were also interested in... X,Y,Z.” That comes in handy now and then if you’re in uncharted territory. Sometimes it’s nonsense, other times very helpful in finding new rabbit holes to go down.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
I enjoy Potlatch as well. PPSR is something I used to enjoy and quickly grew tired of it. Great first impression and then well I have not visited it again for months now. You can try other Balkans for comparison.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
PPSR is just plain delicious...better than the PP regular and a step ahead of Bengal Slices.

xingpao

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2019
Honestly, try a ton of very different blends to see what you love instead of searching out something similar.Then you can go back to the types you like. As a bonus, you will have many different blends to retry at a later date and since your tastes evolve, you will again have something you love.

Status
Not open for further replies.